UNC women's tennis loses first match of season to Vanderbilt, 4-3

Women's tennis N.C. State

The North Carolina women's tennis team huddles before its match against N.C. State on Feb. 21 at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.

The No. 1 North Carolina women’s tennis team lost a close 4-3 match against No.7 Vanderbilt on  Sunday at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center for its first loss of the season.   

In doubles play, the Tar Heels (12-1) took an early lead after a couple of close matches.

To open up the competition, teammates Makenna Jones and Marika Akkeman lost their double match, 6-4.  

No. 9 doubles partners Jessie Aney and Alexa Graham, the second finishers, looked good against Vanderbilt, and led 5-4 early. But the game remained close as the Commodores tied it up at 5-5 and 6-6 to force a tiebreaker point, that ended in favor of UNC with a 7-5 score. 

The No. 20 doubles players Sara Daavettila and Alle Sanford clinched the doubles point. The players rallied back from a 5-1 deficit, winning five straight games to lead 6-5.  When Vanderbilt  fought to even the score 6-6 to force another tiebreaker, Daavettila and Sanford secured the victory 7-6. 

Heading into individual play, the Tar Heels had an early 1-0 lead.  

In individual play, the Tar Heel lost momentum, starting off slow while Vanderbilt won four of the six opening sets. The only two Tar Heels successful in their first set was No.28 Daavetilla and No. 93 Graham, who both won the first set, 6-3. 

Aney lost in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2 to give the Commodores their first point. No.8 Sandford also lost in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4.  With those wins, Vanderbilt took a 2-1 lead.  

In the end, the only two Tar Heels who won their individual matches were Graham and Daavettila. Graham won straight sets 6-3,6-4 and Daavettila won 6-3, 4-6, 6-4. The match came down to Makenna Jones on Court Two, which she lost on a double fault in the tiebreaker, 4-6, 7-5, 7-6. 

The Tar Heels lost 4-3.  

No. 93 Graham had a victory over No. 120 Kurtz beating her in two straight sets, 6-3,6-4.  Graham would also win alongside doubles partner No.32 Aney with a tiebreaker over a No.23 Sharma and Contreras.  Graham and Aney are currently ranked No.9 in doubles play.  

No.28 Daavetila had a victory over No.24 Christina Rosca during individual play.  After a fast start winning the first set 6-3,  she would drop the second set.  Now a third set was played.  After falling into a 2-1 deficit early, Daavetila would bounce back and eventually tie the score at 4-4.  Daavetila was on a role and scored two straight points closing the match with a 6-4 score.  

After the Tar Heels lost three individual matches to Vanderbilt the score was tied 3-3.  With both teams one point away from victory, the Tar Heels undefeated season came down to No.15 Jones.  

After splitting the first two sets, No.15 Jones was set to play a third set. Although she built a 5-2 lead in the third set, she could not finish and eventually lost 7-6 in the deciding point.   

Vanderbilt handed the Tar Heels their very first loss of the season.  The Tar Heels are now 12-1 this season after a hot start.  

North Carolina will be back in action on March 2 to take on Boston College in Chapel Hill.  

@TorreNetkovick