COLUMN: I'm tired of underestimating, so ...

Chapel Fowler

Chapel Fowler

If these past two years have taught me anything about sports, it’s that when I underestimate a team, it always exceeds expectations.

Take, for example, the 2015-16 North Carolina men’s basketball team. Behind seniors Marcus Paige and Brice Johnson, UNC had steamrolled past its first three NCAA Tournament opponents. I thought the Tar Heels were done for in the Elite Eight, though.

The Notre Dame team that awaited them was stacked with talent: Demetrius Jackson, Zach Auguste, a young and flourishing Bonzie Colson. I was convinced North Carolina’s season would end against the Fighting Irish.

It was quite the contrary, obviously. UNC won comfortably and ended up a Kris Jenkins 3-pointer away from the national championship. And of course I made the same mistake a year later, picking Kentucky over North Carolina in all of my brackets in the 2017 tourney.

Instead, a Luke Maye jumper sent UNC on its way to the ultimate story of redemption in Glendale, Ariz.

The trend even holds at a personal level. As a senior, I was part of a red-hot rec league team that won six games in a row leading up to the championship. We wrote off our opponent, and it completely backfired. We lost by double digits. I went 2-8 on free throws, and a ninth grader blocked the hell of out me.

That loss stung as I ate Cook Out chicken quesadillas a few hours later, and it still does now. To Kevin, Davis, Brooks and the rest of the guys on that team: we should’ve had it.

So when I look at this North Carolina team — the No. 6 seed in the ACC Tournament with 2/5 of the All-ACC First Team on its roster — I think to myself: why not overestimate?

North Carolina guard Joel Berry (2) shoots the ball during the second half of Saturday night's away game against Duke.

Joel Berry II and Theo Pinson are experienced seniors who have been on this stage before. Against the right team, Maye can become one of the most efficient big men in the country (see: Arkansas, Boston College and N.C. State, twice).

Head coach Roy Williams admits his team has no rim protector and laments his players’ lack of 3-point defense. But, as he explained after a March 3 loss to Duke, “We’ve been able to make up for it and win a couple of games anyway.”

UNC still excels in scoring and rebounding. And a late six-game win streak in ACC play showed the Tar Heels’ ability to pull out close wins and play some respectable defense.

I am proud to be a career underestimator, but I’m taking the over for once. North Carolina, behind multiple late-game heroics from Berry, will advance to the Final Four in San Antonio.

@chapelfowler