DownTown Abby & the Echoes, former App State students, to rock 'n' roll in Carrborro

DownTown Abby & the Echoes, a soul rock 'n' roll band based in Charlotte infuses the soul of the 60s and 70s with modern rock. The band will be performing at The Station in Carrboro on March 31.

Staff writer Amani Reed interviewed the band on their origins and their musical style.

The Daily Tar Heel: How did this group form? 

Abby Bryant: We were all students from Appalachian State (University), so we met there and started writing music together. I went to high school with Bailey Faulkner, our guitarist, and we were originally a part of another band, but that band fizzled out. We met the others and started small scale by playing at house parties and student events. Once we graduated from college, we decided to move to reach a bigger fan base by moving to Charlotte. And in the summer of 2016, DownTown Abby & the Echoes was born. 

DTH: Your Facebook page says that you mix your passion for soul of the sixties and seventies with rock and modern influences. How do you balance these influences? 

AB: It got started with our love for old music. We found some artists that we really loved that are more modern like Grace Potter and The Nocturnals and Tedeschi Trucks Band. Our style is a unique blend of that. 

DTH: How do you prepare for a performance? 

Bailey Faulkner: We’re living here in Charlotte, so we practice like two times a week, and we have shows almost every weekend — most of the time even two. We push ourselves during the week. Everything we do is up to us. We’re our own managers. We spend some time sending emails, booking shows and managing ourselves. 

DTH: What are you guys most excited about for the show on Saturday? 

BF: We’re going to be performing songs of our EP we released late last year. We have a bunch of new music that hasn’t been recorded yet. It’s a little more on the pop and blues side of soul. We try to play as much original music as we can. Also, it will be our first show in Carrboro. The band captures the spirit of old soul while infusing its youthful energy in fresh songwriting. We’re definitely going to capture the essence of the old soul with our own first take. 

DTH: Where do you see the band in five or 10 years from now? 

Logan Hall: We definitely want to make music a career. We don’t want to have to work in any other way. 

DTH: How has your music evolved since the band first started? 

AB: We’ve been evolving into more of a soul-blues band. 

DTH: Is there anything else that you want to say about the band? 

AB: We’re planning a tour of the southeast, hitting all the coastal cities. We’ll be at the Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reunion Festival in Bristol, TN, on Sept. 22 and 23.