Jalek Felton withdraws from UNC

Jalek Felton dunk BC

Guard Jalek Felton (5) slams home a fast-break dunk against Boston College on Dec. 9 in the Smith Center.

Updated at 4:16 p.m. 

"There is nothing we've heard that justifies UNC's actions against Jalek Felton," said Kerry Sutton, attorney for the first-year guard who withdrew from the University Thursday. 

She said Felton had faith in UNC when others didn't, presumably referring to the impacts of the NCAA's investigation into the University that closed in October. 

"I spoke with Roy Williams today and he obviously feels the pain of Jalek's crushed dream to play at UNC," Sutton said. "Jalek will land on his feet, but our battle here is far from over." 

---

First-year guard Jalek Felton is withdrawing from the University of North Carolina, according to a tweet Thursday from his attorney. 

Kerry Sutton, Felton's attorney, issued a statement via Twitter, which included a quotation and a photograph of Felton with head coach Roy Williams. 

"Playing at @UNC_Basketball was a life-long dream come true," Felton said, according to Sutton's tweet. "It's time for a new dream."

The tweet comes a little more than a month after Felton was suspended from the University

Sutton, who was hired to represent Felton in January, primarily works on Title IX and ethics issues and also represented UNC football player Allen Artis in 2017.

Felton, a five-star recruit and the No. 1 player out of South Carolina according to ESPN, averaged 9.7 minutes a game, and scored 2.9 points per game in the 22 games he played at North Carolina. 

Felton is the nephew of 2005 national champion Raymond Felton. 

Due to federal privacy laws, the North Carolina men's basketball team announced it could not comment on Felton's suspension in a January press release. 

This is a developing story and will be updated as information becomes available.