Here's the Jubilee survey that CUAB used to book Waka Flocka Flame

Jubilee 2018 Announcement

CUAB announced Wednesday that Waka Flocka Flame will be the 2018 Jubilee performer.

When Waka Flocka Flame comes to UNC on April 7, he’ll have the support of 297 students — or at least his genre will.

Before booking Waka Flocka, the Carolina Union Activities Board sent out a survey asking UNC students about what they want to see in a Jubilee performer, genre being one of the categories.

The survey, open from Sept. 15 until Oct. 13, had 691 respondents. The majority (30 percent) of respondents are sophomores, 27 percent are juniors, 21 percent are seniors, 20 percent are first-years, 2 percent are graduated or professional students and less than 1 percent are fifth-years.

The survey asked students to rank the genres hip hop, pop, country, electronic/DJ, indie/alternative, R&B, rock, bluegrass or other from one to five, five being their highest preference and one being their lowest preference.

Hip-hop was the most popular genre, with 47 percent of five votes. R&B followed with the highest number of four votes at 42 percent. Country and bluegrass had the highest numbers of one votes, 46 percent and 44 percent, respectively. Within the other votes, trap music received the highest number of votes with 31 percent of votes.

Respondents were also asked whether they would prefer a festival experience or a singular artist/performance experience, 67 percent of respondents preferring a festival experience.

The majority of respondents are willing to pay more for a festival experience than a singular artist experience, with 30 percent willing to pay $20 to $25 for a festival experience and 24 percent willing to pay $15 to $20 for a singular artist experience. 

Respondents were also able to leave comments in the survey, some taking that opportunity to request specific artists and others requesting that CUAB “GET SOMEONE GOOD FOR ONCE.”

Two students requested Waka Flocka to perform, but others requested artists like Cardi B, Chance the Rapper, SZA and Travis Scott. 

Some students requested that CUAB didn’t schedule Jubilee as the same day as an NCAA tournament game, repeating the conflict between last year’s Jubilee and the Final Four game.

Waka Flocka will be joined by DJ Luke Nasty and Hollywood Cold. The show starts at 6 p.m. on Hooker Fields. Tickets are $5 for UNC students and are available online.

@karynhbrown