COLUMN: I flew out of Horace Williams Airport, and it was amazing

A view of the Dean Dome and South Campus is seen from the Piper Cub.

Recently I had the opportunity to fly out of Horace Williams Airport with local pilot and UNC graduate Bob Epting. Though the airport is scheduled to close in May, following a resolution by the UNC Board of Trustees, the flight easily ranks in my top 10 all-time greatest experiences.

I arrived at the airport after a five-minute ride from campus and walked down to Epting’s hangar, where a beautiful, bright yellow Piper Cub plane was basking in the mid-afternoon sun. Piper Cubs don’t have lots of rows with screaming babies like a commercial jet — just two seats, one in the back and one in the front.

I had the front seat, and I had two jobs: to turn the fuel switch on and to pull the carburetor heat. I'm not 100 percent sure what the carburetor heat does, but it felt important. 

There’s no switch to turn the propeller on, so it had to be cranked by hand. After that was done, we taxied toward the runway. There was no half-hour wait on the runway, like at huge commercial airports. We received the all clear and off we went.

It was one of the shortest take-offs in my life. Within seconds we were overlooking the city. Seeing Chapel Hill from a bird’s-eye view is one of the most spectacular things I have witnessed. If you think Chapel Hill feels like home, wait until you’re 2,000 feet above, looking at the growing grass on McCorkle Place and people walking down Franklin Street. Over South Campus, I could see a lacrosse game being played in Kenan Memorial Stadium.

We were flying steady at 2,000 feet and 80 miles per hour. As we coasted over Finley Golf Course, something happened that I will never forget. 

Over the radio, Epting asked me if I wanted to fly.

"Wait, what?" I said, not believing my ears. He repeated the question, and I told him I didn’t know how. 

Epting’s only response was this: “Well, you’re going to learn today.”

I took hold of the controls and turned left. Well, the plane turned left, but then it wouldn’t stop. I had to center back out the controls and then we were flying level again. 

As we flew towards Jordan Lake, I took the plane down to below 1,500 feet. Epting pointed out all the natural habitats and islands that appear when water levels fall.

After observing the lake, I took a sharp left turn over The Streets at Southpoint and began to follow I-40 back to Chapel Hill. During the turn, we saw Raleigh-Durham International Airport’s runway and were on their radar for a couple of minutes. Epting noted that the air traffic controllers in the area know his plane because it flies low and slow.

Returning to Horace Williams Airport, the sun was setting and covering campus in warm, spring sunlight. With the sun behind us, the engine slowing down and the carburetor heat pulled, Epting landed the Piper Cub. 

An experience I will never forget was unfortunately over, but I never would have had the chance to fly if the airport was closed. Hopefully, the BOT lets me and other community members continue to have that opportunity. We are, after all, a university. And what is a university if not dedicated to creating learning experiences?

@MarkBurnett1234