In top-five ACC matchup, Wake Forest takes down UNC men's tennis, 4-3

Sigouin Boyden Wake Forest

Junior Blaine Boyden (front) and first-year Benjamin Sigouin (back) compete in doubles against Wake Forest on March 28 at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.

The No. 5 North Carolina Men’s tennis team fell to No. 1 Wake Forest in front of a large crowd at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center on Wednesday. The Tar Heels were defeated 4-3 in a match that came down to the third set on Court Three.

The Tar Heels (13-4, 4-1 ACC) got off to a slow start and allowed Wake Forest (15-1, 4-1 ACC) to take the doubles point.

On Court Three, doubles pair Simon Soendergaard and Mac Kiger fell to their opponent, 6-3. Shortly after, new doubles pair Benjamin Sigouin and Blaine Boyden lost, 6-4.

It was the first time this season the two have played doubles together.The pair seemed to have good chemistry but were unable to come out on top. With these two losses, the Tar Heels dropped the doubles point.

Wake Forest also earned the next point. On Court Four, Robert Kelly was defeated 6-4, 6-4. The Tar Heels got on the board when Boyden won his match with two 6-2 sets on Court Five, bringing the overall score to 2-1 in favor of the Demon Deacons.

No. 34 Sigouin lost 7-5, 6-3 on Court Two. Wake Forest needed just one more point to win it, but the Tar Heels won the next two points with No. 2 Blumberg and Kiger’s victories on Court One and Court Six, respectively.

The match was tied at 3-3, and it all came down to UNC’s Soendergaard. After decidedly winning his first set 6-1, Soendergaard fell 7-5 in his second. The match went to a third set, and Soendergaard was unable to pull it out, losing 6-3.

This brought the final score to 4-3.

Boyden had himself a day. The junior handled his Wake Forest opponent in singles, defeating him 6-2 in both sets. Boyden also took the court for doubles for the first time this season and played well in the loss.

The top-five matchup was close throughout, and it wasn’t decided until Soendergaard lost in the third set of his match.

The doubles point was critical in this match, and UNC couldn’t climb back from going down 1-0 early.

Why does this matter?

The loss is UNC’s first of ACC play. North Carolina needs to bounce back quickly and focus on the rest of its ACC matchups, including a home test against Virginia on Sunday.

This will be a rematch from last year’s NCAA championship match, when UVa. defeated UNC, 4-2.

Where do they play next?

UNC will take on Virginia at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center on Sunday, April 1 at 1 p.m.

@nicolebooth56