North Carolina softball beats Winthrop, 10-4, in its sixth straight road game

The North Carolina softball team defeated Winthrop 10-4 in Rock Hill, South Carolina, on Wednesday, in its sixth straight road game. 

The Tar Heels (17-16) had a quick start in the first inning against the Winthrop Eagles (13-14) and never looked back.  Their momentum started when redshirt first-year Kristina Burkhardt singled to right field and stole second base. Next up, Katie Bailiff gave the Tar Heels an early lead with a two-run home run to left field — her first of the season.  

The Tar Heels continued that momentum throughout the rest of the game. UNC scored three runs the next several innings, one in the second and two in the third.  

In the bottom of the third, the Eagles began coming back and scored four runs to come within a run of North Carolina at 5-4. 

That did not stop the Tar Heels from scoring three runs in the top of the fifth to improve their lead to 8-4 and kept the Eagles scoreless in the bottom of the fifth.

In the sixth inning, with Leah Murray and Berlynne Delamora on base, Burkhart hit a triple to right center to drive in two runs for the Tar Heels and gave them a 10-4 lead.   

The Tar Heels would keep the Eagles scoreless through the seventh and secured a 10-4 victory.  

Bailiff stood out for the Tar Heels and started the team’s momentum at the plate on Wednesday night. During the top of the first inning with Burkhart on 2nd base, Bailiff hit a two-run home run to left field to give the Tar Heels an early lead over the Eagles. In the top of the 3rd, she also singled to right field and drove in another run for the Tar Heels, improving their lead to 5-0. Bailiff went 2-3 with three RBIs and two runs scored.  

Pitcher Brittany Pickett also stood out for the Tar Heels against Winthrop. After taking over for sophomore Hannah Nommensen in the first inning,  Pickett pitched a total of 6.2 innings and gave up four runs. She has pitched the last five of the Tar Heels last six road games and has won all of them. With the win, Pickett's season record improves to 15-5.  

The game was not decided until the top of the fifth inning when the Tar Heels scored three runs to lead, 8-4. After securing a four-run lead, the Tar Heels would never look back and went on to score 2 runs in the top of the sixth inning. Pickett would keep the Eagles scoreless throughout the rest of the game and secured the 10-4 victory.  

This game was the team’s sixth consecutive road game. The Tar Heels are 6-1 since beginning their 10-game trip. With the win, the Tar Heels now have a 17-16 record and are above .500.  The Tar Heels will look to carry the momentum into their series on Friday night against ACC opponent Virginia.  

North Carolina will take on Virginia on Friday at 6 p.m. in Charlottesville, Virginia.