CHCCS students join national gun violence protest, walk out of classes

violet crain.jpg

Photo courtesy of Chapel Hill High School student Jonas Todd. Chapel Hill High School student Violet Crain is pictured here participating in the national school walkout protesting gun violence.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City School students walked out of their classes to protest gun violence on Wednesday, one month after the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. that killed 17 people. 

Students wearing orange shirts that read “#enough” gathered at 10 a.m. for 17 minutes to honor the victims of the shooting. Walkout organizers read the names and stories of each victim and observed a moment of silence. Students at every CHCCS high school participated in the walkout. 

“I need to feel safe in my own school,” Chapel Hill High School first-year Isabel Sharp said. “I think that the walkout was an effective demonstration of how we need stricter gun laws.” 

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro walkout was one of many protests across the country as part of the national school walkout organized by the Women’s March Youth #EMPOWER. 

Though teachers and school staff were at the protest, they didn’t stop students from walking out. Chapel Hill-Carrboro Students Against Gun Violence, a student-led group, worked with administrators and town police departments to plan an event that was both safe and student directed. 

“We saw this as an opportunity for student voice, and part of our role as public educators is to help students become a part of society and to be productive and involved citizens,” CHCCS Superintendent Pamela Baldwin said. “Student voice is something that we value in our district.” 

Schools had an increased police presence before and during the walkout. 

“We even had some of our fire departments out as well, really to show support for our students, but also to ensure their safety,” said Baldwin. 

Students that chose not to participate remained with teachers inside. 

In the week leading up to the walkout, students were encouraged to write letters to North Carolina legislators and make posters for the protest. Walkout organizers provided t-shirts for each student and staff member. Phoenix Academy students placed pinwheels outside of Lincoln Center to represent children that have been killed by a gun while at school. 

High schoolers were not the only ones to participate in the walkout. Students at McDougle Middle School had the option to participate in restorative circles, personal reflection rooms and a peaceful protest. Other CHCCS middle and elementary schools held similar activities. 

The organizers effectively emphasized the reality of gun violence by honoring each person killed in Parkland, Chapel Hill High School first-year Eden Baker said, which made the experience more personal.

Max Poteat, East Chapel Hill High School sophomore and one of the original walkout organizers, said he thinks the momentum from the walkout will continue in coming months. 

“Hopefully students feel that our organization can be a platform where they can voice their concerns and ideas moving forward,” Poteat said. “It’s not just the walkout today, it will keep going.”

@maringwolf