Senior student dancers say goodbye with the Blank Canvas Spring Showcase

College is often the last time dancers are able to dance in an organized group setting. For graduating seniors in Blank Canvas Dance Company, their annual Spring Showcase is the finale to a lifelong passion.

“There aren't really opportunities for people in their 20s who have danced forever to keep dancing,” said Megan Anderson, a senior biomedical and health science engineering major. She co-choreographed a hip-hop dance to Logic’s “1-800-273-8255” with sophomore Isabelle Taylor, and is performing in five other dances.

Blank Canvas will be holding the showcase at Memorial Hall on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. There will be 26 performances in a variety of styles, from tap to hip-hop to musical theater. 

Each dance in the showcase is choreographed by members of Blank Canvas. Dance ability ranges from those who are taking their first classes to those who have been dancing since they could walk.

“Being a part of Blank Canvas has been one of the greatest things I have done at my time at Carolina, and as a senior, I look back upon Blank Canvas with great fondness,” Blank Canvas President Kelly Davis said in a Facebook message. “Getting the opportunity to serve the company that gave me so much has truly been a privilege, and I can't wait to share all the hard work that all of our dancers have put in over the last semester with the Carolina community on Saturday.”

Other students are just beginning their time with Blank Canvas. Caroline Le, a first-year psychology major, is choreographing her first dance with the company.

“I’ve choreographed a lot before in high school and middle school, but it’s been a really different experience with Blank Canvas,” Le said. “You’re the only one in charge, and there’s so many people, and you’re solely responsible for everything.”

Marissa Rice, a senior biology major, choreographed the company’s first company-wide, all-levels opening number with two other students. The piece combines songs from multiple musical productions and is an all-levels dance.

Although the entire company doesn’t see the dances until tech week, they know each other’s different skills. Both Anderson and Rice said they were looking forward to seeing Davis’ hip-hop piece.

Tickets to the showcase are available in the Pit this week for $5 or at the door for $7.

"We love to dance, so we’re going to put on this entire show for you,” said Rice.