Editorial: Thank you, CUAB

waka flocka.jpg

A little over a week ago, the Carolina Union Activities Board brought Waka Flocka Flame to campus for the annual Jubilee. This event, despite the rain, was a marked improvement over previous years. 

This year, thankfully, Jubilee did not overlap with a Final Four game. And, thankfully, CUAB also took direction from the student survey. This board is always a little tough on CUAB, but this year, the organization deserves praise for a job well done. 

CUAB also deserved praise for bringing Jay Pharoah to campus for the homecoming performance. It’s great to see comedy alive and well on campus! The old —as in pre-2015 —  comedy festival tradition has yet to be restored, but Jay Pharoah was a step in the right direction, and we hope to see CUAB bring more funny acts to campus. 

As CUAB continues to build on this year’s success, this board, and many other students, would love to see the organization incorporate a “festival experience” into next spring’s Jubilee. Maybe CUAB could bring together a few local artists, along with a bigger name headliner, for students to enjoy over a full day (and hopefully without rain!). CUAB’s own data-gathering process suggests that this is a possibility for the organization, and we’d love to see it happen. 

That said, thank you, CUAB, for taking this board’s feedback and putting on a good show this year. Keep up the good work!