Food Review: Trolly Stop's new "Impossible Burger" might be too real

Food Review Trolly Stop.jpg
Staff Writer Laura Brummett tries Trolly Stop's new veggie burger.

Located right on Franklin Street, Trolly Stop Hot Dogs is a typical college campus burger and hot dog joint. Staff writer Laura Brummett visited to try their new “Impossible Burger.” 

Atmosphere 

Trolly Stop is the kind of place that you can go at any time, for any reason. It’s casual, but not so casual that you would be hesitant to bring your parents there. The walls are decorated with surfboards, most likely a nod to the chain’s first restaurant in Wrightsville Beach, N.C. 

Customers walk up to the counter to order and then seat themselves. There is a bar in the back of the restaurant, and with Trolly Stop being open until 3 a.m. on the weekends, it makes for a good drunk-food go-to. There was upbeat music playing, so if you’re looking for a place to study, Trolly Stop probably isn’t it. 

The “Impossible Burger” 

Trolly Stop has had veggie hot dogs and a vegetarian black bean burger, but they recently added an all plant based vegan burger to their menu. The “Impossible Burger” is supposed to both look and taste like meat, and the advertisement in the restaurant described it as “A burger made entirely from plants for people who love meat!” 

As someone who has eaten meat their entire life and enjoyed it, I was pretty skeptical about this burger’s alleged meat-like qualities. However, it did a better job than I expected. The outside of the burger was chargrilled and had a very strong grilled flavor that made it seem more like meat. I could definitely tell by looking at it though, that it was not a real burger. 

The combo came with a ton of delicious fries — so many that I couldn’t finish them all even though I really, really wanted to. I brought my friend Hannah Goforth with me, since she is a vegetarian and an experienced veggie burger eater. Hannah concluded the burger was alright, and said, “Other veggie burgers don’t usually try and emulate the texture of meat. I’m vegetarian for a reason, I wouldn’t get it again.”

Cost

My total for the “Impossible Burger” combo, with fries and a soft drink, was $9.75. I was a little surprised by the cost at first, but there was a lot of food and free refills. It was a pretty average price for a meal on Franklin Street. 

Conclusion 

If you’re a vegetarian who misses meat, or a meat eater who wants to try out the vegetarian lifestyle, then this burger is a good option for you. Otherwise, I would probably try out the black bean veggie burger or a normal meat burger. This burger definitely wasn’t bad — and I ate pretty much all of it — but I would rather have the real thing.  

@laura_brummett

More in Food Issue

More in Food & Drink