Review: Frutta Bowls brings fresh smoothies, friendly environment to Franklin

Frutta Bowls recently opened on April 14, dishing out a variety of smoothies and bowls on Franklin Street. Staff writer Kari Larsen spent an afternoon sampling their menu. 

Atmosphere

Frutta Bowls is located on Franklin Street across from Carolina Square. This trendy shop’s warm lighting and brick walls provide patrons with a cozy atmosphere. The shop is student-focused, made clear by a tropical-themed chalkboard wall decorated with UNC emblems and Michael Jordan dunking a pineapple. 

The interior has plenty of individual and group seating as well as couches and several outdoor tables. Outlets are conveniently provided for students to plug in their laptops or phones, and there are floor to ceiling windows along two sides that are lined with bar seating.

Chill pop hits softly echo through Frutta Bowls as students chatter amongst themselves. Although it was fairly packed when I visited, the space didn’t seem excessively noisy.

Service

When I first walked into Frutta Bowls, I was greeted by friendly staff. The man behind the register, Julian, asked the girls in front of me if this was their first visit and patiently described the various options to them. When I needed a lid to bring home my leftovers, the staff eagerly offered me a bag to make carrying the bowl home easier. 

A sign at the front of the line reminded patrons the food was freshly prepared and there could be a wait, but when I visited there wasn’t a wait of more than a few minutes.

Menu

The menu offered a wide variety of options, including smoothies and bowls. Bowls were offered with various fruits, granolas and bases. The bowls were divided into four main bases: acai, pitaya, kale and oatmeal. 

Frutta Bowls offered novelty menu items like the PB&J Bowl as well as protein-heavy and healthier options like the Hulk Bowl and the Caveman. Prices for these options range from $6.99 to $10.79.

Taste

I ordered the most classic item on the menu, the Frutta Bowl, which was $9.99 and made with a base of organic acai with guarana and banana and topped with granola, strawberries, pineapple, kiwi, nutella, honey and coconut flakes. The Frutta Bowl normally includes peanut butter, but I chose to forgo that topping. 

The fruit toppings were both fresh and refreshing, and the smoothie base was very cold and played well off the flavors of the fruit. Somebody who enjoys sweeter things would probably enjoy the nutella topping, but I found it distracting. My only other suggestion for the food would be a wider bowl. With the current bowl size, the food overflows in a way that made it hard to fully enjoy the different layers. 

Overall Impression

Frutta Bowls is a trendy acai-centered smoothie place that offers freshly made food in a campus-convenient location. 

@karitoralarsen

More in Food Issue

More in Food & Drink