Review: Kurama Sushi & Noodle Express provides an affordable alternative to other Franklin restaurants

Kurama.jpg
Photo of Kurama Sushi & Noodle Express meal.

Tucked away around the corner of Franklin Street lies Kurama Sushi & Noodle Express. Staff writer Claire Willmschen spent an evening sampling their menu. 

Atmosphere

Kurama is small, intimate space with entirely wooden furniture. Booths line the outer walls while bar-style seating surround the middle of the room where the chef is visibly creating the sushi. Also around the chef is a sushi conveyor belt, delivering all kinds of sushi to the surrounding customers.

The restaurant had no music playing, but it didn’t seem quiet because it was completely full. Every booth was taken. The service was still quick, however, and our waitress was attentive. 

It was brightly lit inside and the walls were adorned with colorful asian art. What stood out the most was the sushi clock, where each of the numbers was a different type of sushi.

On the table they had both normal and sodium-free soy sauce. They also had chopsticks available for those brave enough to use them.

The food

There are so many sushi options, it’s incredible. And the rolls are cheap so you can mix and match as many as you want. Some of the rolls are more exciting like the “dragon roll” or “rainbow roll,” but you also have the option for basic rolls with just one or two ingredients.

Since sushi isn’t everyone’s favorite dish, they do have several other options. Noodles, soups and rice bowls of all kinds are also on the menu.

I got two sushi rolls, a California roll and an avocado eel roll, both delicious. They each came with four pieces of sushi and together the eight were a perfect amount of food. I also ordered a plate of beef dumplings and they exceeded my expectations.

Cost

This was my favorite part of the meal, the food was low-priced. Together my two rolls were $3.50 and with the dumplings my total was just under $8. I could’ve been filled with just the sushi and enjoyed an entire meal for under $5. 

One of the cool parts of the pricing was that the plate design your sushi came on was indicative of the price. That way, if you were picking up the sushi from the conveyor belt, you can just look at your plate and the matching key on the wall and know how much the roll will cost.

Conclusion

I really loved Kurama and if I lived closer to Franklin Street it might be a daily restaurant for me. Any one who likes sushi should try it because of the endless options and combinations for the low price.

@ce_willmschen