Letter: Violent crime will never end, but we still need gun reform

When will there be change in North Carolina regarding gun laws? Although guns were initially distributed to protect under the second amendment rights — guns, both registered and non-registered, are often used for violent reasons such as robbery, homicides and suicides. I find it very disturbing that we have to talk about gun laws and regulations during this time. 

The many catastrophes of gun violence continue to rise as time progresses. Over the past couple years, there have been multiple mass shootings that have involved semi-automatic assault rifles and no effort has been shown to take it away from the public access. Due to strong lobbying efforts by groups like the National Rifle Association, members of Congress have failed to pass legislation in favor of increased background checks, limiting the ability to purchase AR-15's and military grade weapons and have blamed the entirety of the issue on mental health. 

I believe there should be more restrictions and regulations for people who can have and use the guns. If policies such as these are in place and implemented, the violent crime rates may go down tremendously although it will sadly never truly end.

Sincerely, 

Darauna Davis

Nursing