Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC men's tennis wins tough road match to No. 11 Florida State, 4-1

Robert Kelly UVA

Then senior Robert Kelly served in a men's tennis match against Virginia on April 1, 2018, at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.

The No. 7 North Carolina men’s tennis team defeated No. 11 Florida State, 4-1, on Friday, improving its season record to 19-4, 10-1 ACC.  

To begin the match in doubles, Simon Soendergaard and Mac Kiger took an early, 3-1 lead over the Seminoles and never looked back. They went on to win, 6-1.  

On Court One, the top-ranked doubles team in the nation, William Blumberg and Robert Kelly, secured the doubles point. After taking a quick 2-1 lead over the Seminoles, they went on to win, 6-1. Since the Tar Heels won two doubles matches and clinched the match's doubles point, Benjamin Sigouin and Blaine Boyden’s match went unfinished. 1-0, Tar Heels.

In individual play, the Tar Heels lost momentum, starting off slow while the Seminoles won three of the six opening sets. The only three Tar Heels successful in their first set was No. 2 Blumberg, No. 38 Sigouin and Kiger.  

Boyden lost in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2, to give the Seminoles their first point. With that win, the match was tied 1-1.  

The Tar Heels only needed to win three of the remaining five individual matches to clinch the victory. And they did.

On Court One, Blumberg won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4, to give UNC its second point.  Kiger would also win in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2 to give the Tar Heels a 3-0 lead over the Seminoles. On Court Two, Sigouin won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3. With that win, he gave the Tar Heels a 4-1 lead and clinched the victory.  

In singles, Blumberg had a victory over No. 46 Aziz Dougaz in straight sets. The sophomore would also win alongside doubles partner Kelly. 

The Tar Heels never looked back after a great start. After earning the doubles point and a 1-0 lead, the Tar Heels would go on to win three out of six singles matches.  

With this win, the Tar Heels have won nine of their last ten ACC matches, with the only loss coming against Wake Forest, 4-3. They only have one more ACC match before they head to Cary for the ACC Tournament, starting this upcoming weekend.  

North Carolina will be back on the road Sunday to take on Miami at 9 a.m.  

@TorreNetkovick