Think men can be trash? Hear We the Ladies joke about it with 'pls i'm delicate'

pls i'm delicate
We the Ladies will present "pls i'm delicate" on Thursday at Might as Well. Photo courtesy of Shea Stanley.

We the Ladies is back and more delicate than ever as they present their all-femme and gender nonbinary comedy show, “pls i’m delicate,” at Might as Well bar on April 19 from 7:30 to 9 p.m.

“pls i’m delicate” features stand-up comedy, as well as comedic sketches from some of the best jokesters in Chapel Hill.

“My friend Ellie and I came up with the name ‘pls i’m delicate,’” said Shea Stanley, a junior drama and communications major at UNC and president of We the Ladies. “We thought it was a friendly name for a comedy show. It plays on the idea that women are fragile creatures and that we want people to laugh at our jokes.”

Stanley created the idea of having a nonbinary show to try to fulfill the need of women in comedy and give a space for everyone to express their creativity. Her friend, Ellie Rodriguez, also shared the same idea. When they came together, We the Ladies was formed.

“Me and Shea founded the group this past summer,” said Rodriguez, a junior English major and vice president of We the Ladies. “We were freaking out when doing our first show last semester, because we were scared that it wasn’t going to work out and that a lot of people weren’t going to come. It was so amazing to see more than 100 people come out and support, and we hope that happens again for this show.”

Topics in the show will range from boys to stories about going to the beach.

“We want this to be a space for people to talk about genitals, sexuality and anything else, because we want people to feel comfortable,” Rodriguez said. “We like goofy things that may not necessarily have to do with being a woman. We just want people to laugh.”

Noni Shemenski, a junior communications major, helped with planning for We the Ladies. She will also be performing in the show. 

“We’ve been having stand-up and sketch workshops for the past three months in preparation for the show,” Shemenski said. “Hearing how unique the performers’ material is, coupled with their funny voices and talent, is very amazing. It’s really nice to see these people displaying confidence by coming into themselves.” 

Shemenski said that she will be talking about her sexuality and how some men can be trash.

“I feel comfortable enough talking about such topics, and I believe in uplifting voices of people that are marginalized,” Shemenski said. “Whenever you put people who are normally in power on stage, you don’t learn anything new. When you give people who are historically oppressed a voice that’s funny, they’re able to put a voice to topics they may have never discussed on stage before.”

In addition, the proceeds from the show will go to the Diaper Bank of North Carolina, a local organization whose mission is to promote and protect the dignity of residents of North Carolina by ensuring that families with babies and children living with poverty have an adequate supply of diapers.

“It’s going to be freakin’ hilarious, and all the proceeds go to charity,” Rodriguez said. “If you’re in the mood for a good comedy show, then this is the show for you.”