Spending a summer at UNC? Here are some concerts to keep you busy

Local 506

Local 506, located on 506 West Franklin Street, is a music bar that hosts touring musicians and local bands. Photo courtesy of Evan Millican.

Spring semester hurtles to a close, but the music scene in the Triangle will stay alive even as campus clears out. For those of you sticking around UNC for summer classes or jobs, here are some concerts coming to town.  

Check out these nearby concerts for a wide variety of bands and genres that range from indie rock to country. 

Birth the Wretched

Local 506

June 7, Doors: 7 p.m., Show: 8 p.m.

$10

Death metal band Birth the Wretched is performing at Local 506 to celebrate the release of their EP. The Louisburg-based band is being joined by other metal bands from North Carolina, Septicemic, Malediction, Antenora and Discoveries. To get a sense of their “Hell Forged Death Metal” sound, check out their self-titled single.

The Regrettes

Cat’s Cradle Back Room

June 7, Doors: 7 p.m., Show: 8 p.m.

$10 in advance/$12 day of

Los Angeles-based punk rock band The Regrettes is stopping by Carrboro between other headlining shows, festival stops and supporting The Cold War Kids. The band combines singer Lydia Night’s riot grrrl vocals with a surf pop aesthetic, seen in songs “Hey Now,” “Seashore” and their newest single, “Come Through.”

NCMA Summer Concert Series 

Joseph M. Bryan Jr., Theater at the North Carolina Museum of Art

The North Carolina Museum of Art is bringing musical acts such as Father John Misty and Lake Street Dive to Raleigh with its summer concerts — some of which are being co-presented by Cat’s Cradle. This concert series has been going on for two decades, so join the NCMA for this long-standing tradition of summer sounds. 

Now, Now 

Local 506

July 15, Doors: 7 p.m., Show: 8 p.m.

Tickets $13 to $15 

Check out some indie rock music with Now, Now, a musical duo formed in Blaine, Minn. This band released “Saved,” its first album since 2012, this year. The album has been praised for its crisp drum beats and electro-pop sounds. Some highlights from this latest release include “Can’t Help Myself” and “AZ.”  

Beach House

The Ritz Raleigh

July 27, Doors: 7 p.m., Show: 8 p.m.

$30

By the time Beach House makes it to the Triangle, their newest album “7” will have been released. The dream-pop duo intends for their new record to be one of “rebirth and rejuvenation,” with some tracks featuring heavy layering, some with limited instrumentation. Some songs to check out are “Zebra,” “Myth” and “Dive.”   

Franz Ferdinand 

The Ritz Raleigh 

July 29, Doors: 7 p.m., Show: 8 p.m.

$30  

This Scottish indie rock band has been around since 2002, but the group recently got a makeover as Dino Bardot replaced Nick McCarthy on guitar. Songs to look out for include “Take Me Out,” and “Do You Want To,” some of the band’s more popular releases. Also listen for tracks from Franz Ferdinand’s newest album, “Always Ascending,” which was released this year. 

@artsDTH