Baseball head coach Mike Fox agrees in principle to contract extension

Mike Fox Michael Busch FSU

Sophomore Michael Busch (15) shakes hands with head coach Mike Fox as he runs the bases after a home run against Florida State on March 23, 2018.

On Friday, Mike Fox and the University of North Carolina agreed in principle to a new contract to keep him at his alma mater for the foreseeable future.

With the head coach’s current deal set to expire on June 30th, the University decided to extend his contract after he led the baseball team to its first College World Series berth since 2013. 

While the length of the deal has not yet been announced, UNC Athletics Director Bubba Cunningham told GoHeels that the two sides would have exact terms decided soon.

The Tar Heels battled back from a 9-8 start to finish with a 44-20 mark on the season. The team went 22-8 in conference play and won the ACC Coastal Division for the second consecutive year, even after losing two First-Team All-Americans to the 2017 MLB Draft.

Fox was recognized for turning his team’s season around, and he was rewarded for his efforts with the ACC Coach of the Year award for the first time in his 20 seasons with the program.

Overall, the head coach has amassed a 890-380-1 record and has led UNC to 17 postseasons in his 20 seasons at the helm. The Tar Heels have also made seven College World Series appearances during his tenure.

@christrenkle2