Men's basketball lands its first recruit for 2020 class after Father's Day visit

roy mad.jpeg
UNC head coach Roy Williams directs his team in North Carolina's win over Wake Forest on Saturday in the Smith Center.

It’s never too early for North Carolina head coach Roy Williams to start recruiting players for future teams and on Sunday night, he landed a commitment.

Day’ron Sharpe, an in-state prospect for the 2020 class, verbally committed to play for Williams and the Tar Heels while visiting Chapel Hill for the second time on Father’s Day. 

UNC won the fight to land Sharpe over multiple other schools, including Georgetown, Virginia and East Carolina University.

The 6-foot-9 rising junior attends South Central High School in Winterville and put up solid numbers as a sophomore. In 26 games, the 220-pound man averaged 14.3 points to go along with 9.3 rebounds and 2.6 blocks. His play helped get his team to the 2018 East Regional.

There’s plenty of reason to believe the numbers will continue to go up for UNC’s first commit for 2020. He improved his points by a 5.4 mark between his first and second years and also saw his rebounds go up by over two a game.

In addition to playing for South Central, the prospect also plays for Garner Road, an AAU team that has produced the likes of John Wall and David West. Sharpe plays on the Garner Road 16U West 2020 team.

The Garner Road director, Dwayne West, spoke with Inside Carolina and he believes Sharpe is a five-star prospect moving forward. 

It’s clear that Sharpe is regarded as a strong prospect by others as well, having just attended the NBPA Top 100 Camp at the University of Virginia, held from June 12-17.

Williams also has a commitment for the 2019 class, Jeremiah Francis, a 6-foot-1, 180-pound point guard from Pickerington, Ohio.