With potential flooding in the area, here's how to handle the storm

Between Monday and Wednesday, the National Weather Service is forecasting three to six inches of rain, which could impact low-lying areas in Chapel Hill. These areas are prone to flooding.

Specific areas of potential flooding include S. Estes Drive in the vicinity of Willow Drive, Camelot Village Apartments on S. Estes Drive, Brookwood Community on S. Estes Drive, South Estes public housing neighborhood on Estes Drive Extension near University Place, Bolin Creek out of its banks, Cleland Road between Kendall Drive and Hayes Road, Franklin Street at Mellette Street, and E. Franklin Street at Park Place, according to an email released by the Town of Chapel Hill.

To protect yourself against a flood, the town of Chapel Hill urges residents to seek higher ground, avoid walking through moving water, parking in low-lying areas and driving in flooded areas. Here are a few more things you'll want to keep in mind if the waters start to rise.

What to do if your house floods

ReadyNC stresses the importance of securing important paperwork such as insurance policies, medical records and prescriptions in the case of flooding. 

Cover windows with storm shutters, and move your vehicles into a garage or park them near the home away from trees.

In order to secure items, bring all bulky objects inside and tie down the ones you are unable bring in.

Fill your bathtubs and sinks with clean water so that you have access to this later.

Use sandbags based on your predicted floor depths. These will divert the water.

Keep all valuable papers and jewelry to higher floor levels. If you are still in a dry area, turn off the main power switch and gas valve.

If your house begins to flood with high rising waters, move to a second floor or roof. Bring warm clothing, a flashlight and call 911.

How to drive in floods

According to Progressive, the average car can be swept off the road in 12 inches of moving water, so if you must drive, avoid standing water on roads or in parking lots. If you need to go through the water, drive slowly and steadily. Avoid all water that electric or power lines have fallen in. Watch for potential moving objects that could crush you.

If water is up to the wheel rims or higher, test your brakes at a low speed. If the vehicle does not easily stop, attempt to dry the brakes by pressing down on the brake pedal with your left foot and keeping on the gas with your right foot.

Avoid using your cellphone.

You might have to restart your engine if it stalls in deep water. Doing this is necessary, but could ruin your engine. If you cannot restart your engine, leave the vehicle and search for higher ground. If you are unable to exit your vehicle, call 911 or seek help from a passersby on higher ground.

How to keep your pets safe

ReadyNC advises residents to bring their pets in at the beginning of any storm and have at least a week's supply of food on hand. Do not allow your pets to drink floodwater. Keep updated tags and consider microchipping your animal.

Always bring your pet with you if you must leave your home. If you are not home, ask someone in your neighborhood to check on them for you. 

To help your animals from becoming upset naturally in a storm, take care to comfort them and keep their toys nearby.