Folt addresses campus safety following a week of two protests and 11 arrests

silent sam

Update 10:40 p.m.: UNC Media Relations sent an update about Saturday's events at 9:52 p.m. on Saturday.

Eight of the 11 arrests were made by UNC Police and the three warrants were also served by UNC Police. None of the 11 individuals are affiliated with the University, according to the statement. 

Ian Broadhead was arrested on Monday for concealing one's face during public rally and resisting arrest. 

Following Monday's events, three warrants were filed in Hillsborough on Thursday, and Jonathan Fuller, Lauren Auction and Raul Arce were arrested on Saturday for "misdemeanor riot" and "misdemeanor defacing of a public monument." The update adds that the investigation is still in progress, and additional arrests may take place. 

Seven individuals were arrested on Saturday in connection to the rally on McCorkle Place. Danielle Shochet and Barry Brown were arrested for simple assault. John Quick was arrested for assault. Kristin Emory was arrested for resisting arrest. Alexander Joustra and Lillian Laura Price were arrested for injury/damage to property. Thomas Bruefach was arrested for resisting arrest and causing/inciting a public disturbance, the statement says.

In less than a week, there have been 11 arrests connected to the toppling of Silent Sam. One arrest was made Monday night, and seven were made Saturday during a rally of approximately 100 demonstrators. Three warrants have also been issued as a result of Monday night’s events, Chancellor Carol Folt said in a conference call with reporters. 

"As of 12:45 p.m. today, there have been seven arrests in connection to a gathering on McCorkle Place. Three arrests were for assault, the fourth for destruction of property and the fifth arrest for resisting an officer," said Carly Miller, media relations manager for University Communications, in a statement. "The sixth arrest was for assault, destruction of property and inciting a riot. We are awaiting information on charges for the seventh arrest."

At 1:20 p.m., UNC Media Relations confirmed that the seventh arrest was for assault, destruction of property and inciting a riot. None of the people arrested on Saturday were affiliated with the University, Folt said.

This week, multiple statements have been released from the UNC-System Board of Governors, Chancellor Carol Folt, the Board of Trustees and UNC-System President Margaret Spellings. Statements have not only been released from entire boards, but individual BOG members have called for putting the statue back up within 90 days. These responses have developed alongside UNC departments and the Undergraduate Executive Branch praising the actions taken on Monday. 

While the University has yet to release a consensus on the next steps for Silent Sam, Folt said they have time to find the right solution.

“I said from the start that I think in the interest of public safety, I would find a better location, a safe, secure location for the monument that would allow us to talk about it, learn from it and deal with it in a respectful and appropriate way,” Folt said. “And if I could do that, that is still what I believe is necessary. And I think we do have time to really look at this and identify what I believe can be a sustainable, lawful solution for the Confederate monument. I do believe that everyone wants the safety of the campus.”

She said people want the University to flourish, and that University leadership needs to work together to find the proper solution. Folt said, “And I think we’ll have time to really do that right, but we’re certainly thinking about it all the time." 

@MyahWard

More in University

More in

More in Student Life

More in Carol Folt