Before you hit the box office this fall, read this

Short Films
The Compass Center hosted a screening of "Five Awake" at the Varsity Theatre.

After a summer dominated by superheroes, dinosaurs and other mega-blockbusters, it’s time to swap out stunts and explosions for films with their sights set on awards season. 

While the next four months will still have a handful of big-name spin offs and sequels, there are plenty of other upcoming projects to get moviegoers excited. 

Senior Writer Zach Goins broke down the some of the upcoming releases to let you know when to head to the box office. 

“A Star Is Born” - Oct. 5

I have yet to watch the trailer for “A Star Is Born” without getting chills. As Jackson Maine’s (Bradley Cooper) musical career is derailed by alcoholism, he helps an aspiring musician, Ally (Lady Gaga) reach her dreams. Combining one of the best actors around with one of music’s most powerful voices seems like a perfect combination. Plus, in addition to starring in the film, Cooper steps behind the camera for the first time to make his directorial debut. 

“First Man” - Oct. 12 

Director Damien Chazelle and star Ryan Gosling team up again in “First Man,” the story of Neil Armstrong and the legendary mission to the moon. The Chazelle/Gosling combo was a recipe for success with 2016’s “La La Land,” and Chazelle’s “Whiplash” also raked in three Academy Awards. If “First Man” follows suit, it could be the film to finally help Gosling and Chazelle win the big one. 

“Beautiful Boy” - Oct. 12

It’s impossible to see Steve Carell and not think of Michael Scott, but this looks to be about as different from “The Office” as you can get. Starring Carell and Timothée Chalamet as father and son David and Nic Sheff, “Beautiful Boy” tells the heartbreaking true story of a family’s struggle with addiction and the pain it brings. Plus, for all you Office fans out there, Amy Ryan, AKA Holly, plays Carell’s wife once again, so at least that might be able to bring some happiness to the screen.

“Boy Erased” - Nov. 2

If you try and tell me you finished that trailer with a dry eye, I’ll go ahead and call you a liar straight to your face. In “Boy Erased,” Jared (Lucas Hedges), the son of a Baptist preacher, is forced to attend a gay conversion camp after being outed by his parents. It seems like Fall 2018 is just the time for heartbreaking true stories. And speaking of star-studded casts, Hedges, Nicole Kidman and Russell Crowe are about as powerful a group as you can get. I’m expecting tons of Oscars hype surrounding this film, especially with Hedges’ recent Oscars track record.

“Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” - Nov. 16

It’s time to journey back to the wizarding world of pre-Harry Potter in the next episode of the Fantastic Beasts spinoff series. While the first one was average to above average at best, the trailers for the second installment look top-notch. Eddie Redmayne and Johnny Depp return as Newt Scamander and Gellert Grindelwald, respectively. Plus they’ve added new faces with Jude Law as Albus Dumbledore and Zoë Kravitz as Leta Lestrange. 

“Creed II” - Nov. 21

After suffering defeat in 2015’s “Creed” Michael B. Jordan’s Adonis Creed is stepping back in the ring to challenge the son of Ivan Drago, his father’s killer. Jordan is joined by Sylvester Stallone and Tessa Thompson once again, in the sequel to one of the 21st century’s best sports films. Hopefully, this time around Creed will get the win.  

“Aquaman” - Dec. 21

With the exception of “Wonder Woman,” it’s safe to say the entire DC Extended Universe is pretty much a dumpster fire. When you have a notorious reputation for delivering super promising trailers and terrible movies, it’s not a good look. I'm talking to you, “Suicide Squad,” “Batman v Superman” and “Justice League.” I will say, Jason Momoa’s Aquaman was one of the few redeeming qualities of “Justice League,” so hopefully he can finesse his way into a solid standalone film. 

@zach_goins