Ashley Hoffman's goal for UNC field hockey beats Iowa, 2-1, in overtime

The North Carolina field hockey team celebrates during its 5-1 win against No. 5 Michigan on Aug. 25 at Carolina Field Hockey Stadium.

Coming off a tightly contested season opener against Michigan, the No. 2 North Carolina (1-0) faced the No. 20 Iowa (1-0) in game two of the ACC-Big Ten Challenge on Sunday. 

The Tar Heels came away with a 2-1 victory in overtime, despite trailing for the majority of the game.

The Tar Heels dominated possession early in the match, keeping the ball on the opponent’s side of the field. However, unable to capitalize on their two penalty corners, the match — and the blank scoreboard — didn't reflect the pressure on the defense.  

With 10 minutes left until halftime, the Hawkeyes took their first shot of the match and connected to take a 1-0 lead. The goal was scored by Maddy Murphy on an assist from Lokke Stribos on a penalty corner — one of two shots taken during regulation to the Tar Heels' 14. It was the only score of the half.

In the second half, the Hawkeyes took control of possession and stopped many of the Tar Heels drives. Playing from behind, North Carolina played aggressively, but it still couldn't equalize the game. 

That all changed in the 62nd minute, when Erin Matson scored on an assist from Malin Evert to even the game. It was her second goal of the weekend.

No team was able to break the tie in regulation and the game entered overtime tied at 1-1. The Hawkeyes took two shots on goal in the next, but neither resulted in a goal. 

In the 79th minute, the Tar Heels were granted a penalty shot and a chance to win it all. Senior Ashley Hoffman converted on the shot, giving her team the 2-1 win. 

Ashley Hoffman was vocal throughout the game, instructing her teammates and encouraging them. On the defensive end, she helped stop multiple attacks from the Hawkeyes before taking the most important shot of the game.  

Remembering the last penalty shoke she took and missed in the final four last year, she knew what was on the line.

“My true feeling was, if I don’t make this, my team will have to run for another 10 minutes in overtime,” Hoffman said. “When I come up for a stroke, I’m never super confident, but you have to combat that doubt. At the end of the day you go into your routine, and you execute." 

After a scoreless first half, it didn't look promising for the Tar Heels playing behind. But after tying the game late, it all changed. 

In overtime, the next goal scored would determine the winner and the Tar Heels found it first. Hoffman’s penalty stroke converted to keep her team undefeated. 

Coming off a victory over Michigan, the Tar Heels still had their work cut out for them against another ranked team in Iowa. The win gives the team another notable victory early in their season, and will likely be a determining factor in moving up in the next college field hockey rankings. 

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels will travel to Philadelphia on Aug. 31st to face Princeton at 11:00 a.m. 

@Jconn_24