Queer FallFest aims to create a positive environment for incoming LGBTQ students

IMG-0187.JPG
Taken by Danny Bowen

FallFest welcomed new and returning students alike back to campus last week. For more than 20 years, FallFest has been a way for students to make new friends, get some free food and check out student organizations. However, given that UNC has over 500 student organizations on campus, and 18,000 undergraduate students enrolled, it can be easy to get lost in the crowd.

That’s why this Thursday, UNC’s Sexuality and Gender Alliance will be hosting the Queer FallFest in Union 2423 from 5-8 p.m. Visitors can expect snacks, tables for various clubs and lots of other students interested in the LGBTQ community on campus — think a mini-FallFest.

Students will get a chance to see various different types of organizations at Queer FallFest, from groups interested in women’s rights, to student publications like Siren, a free feminist magazine that is written by UNC students and available on campus.

The organizations that will be present at Queer FallFest include Pride Place, Campus Y, the LGBTQ Center, Feminist Students United, Queer and Transgender People of Color, Carolina Women’s Center, Carolina Advocating for Gender Equity, oStem, Student Wellness and SAGA.

“SAGA is an organization that is trying to make a more welcome environment for LGBTQ students with hangout-type events and some activism as well,” Lauren Griffith, SAGA’s community involvement chairperson, said.

Kiera Whalen, one of the co-presidents of UNC SAGA, explained that Queer FallFest is all about making sure students have an opportunity to learn about LGBTQ-friendly clubs on campus, which might not happen at FallFest. 

“At FallFest you might get lost, and you might not find CQC or QTPOC,” Whalen said.

CQC stands for Committee for a Queerer Carolina. CQC was previously a committee within SAGA, and only became an independent organization in the last year. Where SAGA mostly plans LGBTQ-friendly social events on campus, CQC is more of an activism and advocacy organization. 

Brennan Lewis, a member of CQC, explained why, as a new organization, it is doubly important to advertise with events like Queer FallFest. They said that representation can be important for a student's journey at a new school.

“I think it’s really important for students to see themselves represented in organizations that they can join, and it’s really important for folks to feel safe and supported on campus,” Lewis said. 

Lewis also echoed Whalen’s feelings towards FallFest — that it can be easy for students to miss LGBTQ organizations in the frenzy. Lewis said specialized events can better guide students that may have specific interests or concerns. 

“I think that regular FallFest can be very very overwhelming. So I think that it’s helpful to have, kind of like issue-specific areas that focus in on and sort through organizations there,” Lewis said, “Like the Campus Y has their own FallFest style event.”

In addition to Queer FallFest, Whalen said that SAGA will have its first movie night soon and will be planning various other events throughout the rest of the semester.

“Getting involved with SAGA has been a really big part of my experience at Carolina. I think that, especially for first years, getting involved in these clubs is just such a great way to find your Carolina home,” Whalen said. 

@ajoleary_55