Men's cross country takes down nationally-ranked opponent in Boston

Casey Greenwalt Raleigh Relays
Redshirt junior Casey Greenwalt runs in 1,500-meter at the Raleigh Relays on March 30.

For the North Carolina men's cross country team, it was good to be back.

After missing training time due to Hurricane Florence, the UNC cross country team traveled to Jamaica Plain, Mass., for Boston College’s Battle in Beantown.

The men's team got its feet back on the ground, placing fifth out of 23 schools and beating out No. 12 Campbell. The women placed 14th out of 23 teams.

The women’s 5K began at 3:00 p.m. on Friday. Seven Tar Heels competed among 216 total competitors in the race. First-year Enyaeva Michelin was the first Tar Heel to cross the finish line with a time of 17:53, earning 31st place. Next was redshirt senior Casey Greenwalt who placed 83rd with a time of 18:26. Just six seconds behind came junior Erin Edmundson, placing 88th. Ashley Smith, Camryn Petit, Lindsey Lanier and Olivia Bene finished 93rd, 103rd, 169th and 196th, respectively. 

Junior Abbey Wheeler of Providence placed first overall, with a time of 17:10, six seconds faster than the next runner.

The men’s 8K — nearly five miles long — followed at 3:30 p.m with ten Tar Heels competing. Graduate student Nick Golebiowski was the top placer for UNC with a time of 24:32, placing 16th out of 210 competitors. His time was 29 seconds short of first placer Amon Kemboi for Campbell. 

UNC redshirt sophomore Mitch Resor placed 20th with a time of 24:35, and junior Jeremy Brown placed 27th with a time of 24:46. Brodie Modini, Alex Milligan, Matt Thornton, Brandon Tubby and Ian Moini also earned spots on the board, placing 41st, 51st, 58th, 114th, 144th and 157th, respectively. Luke Peterson placed 114th and Mark Myers followed five seconds later to place 123rd. 

Finally, there was a combined men and women’s open 5K race. UNC sophomore Jesse Hunt placed third out of 152 runners with a time of 15:48, just 18 seconds behind Luke Coulter in first place for Stony Brook.

Michelin continued her impressive performance on the season as only a first-year, placing first out of the Tar Heels in the women’s 5K.

Golebiowski made his debut for the Tar Heels and did not disappoint, placing in the top 20 in the men’s 8K. Resor also had an impressive finish, just three seconds behind Golebiowski, earning 20th.

Hunt beat out 149 others to earn third in the open 5K.

After losing practice time last week, the teams had a solid performance at its second meet of the year. Many Tar Heels made their debut as competitors in light blue, and seven set career records, a promising sign for the season. 

UNC will look forward to heading back to Boston for the ACC Cross Country Championships at the end of October.

Who do they play next?

UNC will head to State College, Pa., for the Penn State National Cross Country Open on Friday, October 12th at 10:45 a.m.

@kellie_nattress