Editorial: Florence has left, but N.C. is not out of the storm

Hurricane Shelter
The American Red Cross, in partnership with the state of North Carolina, set up a hurricane shelter at Smith Middle School in Chapel Hill.

Hurricane Florence is finally leaving North Carolina, with a trail of destruction remaining in its wake. 

Towns are flooded, homes are destroyed and, even worse, lives have been lost. While those affected can now start recovering from the heavy winds and feet of rain dropped on our state, the remaining high waters, ruined homes and continued lack of running water and electricity in large parts of North Carolina mean many will continue to suffer for some time. 

After near-constant reminders from local and national media outlets for the past week, there will be a reduction of coverage surrounding the hurricane, but we cannot allow ourselves to forget those still in need.

While those of us removed from the areas hurt worst by the storm cannot provide direct assistance in the recovery effort, there are still many ways in which we can help. A number of charities, including the American Red Cross, World Vision and the Humane Society, are now extending aid to those affected by the storm. A quick Google search can help you find other such charities. 

Even locally, chances to provide aid will likely arise. The University has graciously opened up its doors for persons displaced by the storm and will be operating a shelter out of the Friday Center. There will undoubtedly be opportunities for students to help out at the new shelter.

Those of us in the Triangle area were fortunate. The storm passed us by and left little to remind us it was even here. Though what little damage occurred here will be quickly fixed and the news cycle will move on, we can’t forget those who weren’t as lucky.