How to help and donate to the victims of hurricane Florence

Chapel Hill Shelter

Hurricane Florence slammed into the Carolina coast Thursday morning, causing eight North Carolina counties to be declared disaster areas. 

Gov. Roy Cooper said in a press release that severe flooding from the storm will last for days and is more dangerous now than when the storm made landfall. More than 700,000 people remain without power, according to the North Carolina Department of Public Safety.

Keith Acree, spokesperson for the North Carolina Department of Public Safety, said the best way for people to help is by donating money to charities assisting with relief efforts. 

“Our general advice for donations after any disaster would be to make a donation to one of the established reputable disaster relief charities,” Acree said.

He recommended the website Charity Navigator to help people determine which organizations are reliable.

Donations made in cash are better than giving supplies because of the logistics that are required to sort and transport goods, Acree said. With monetary donations, organizations can buy what they need.

To volunteer, visit the state's volunteer website for more information.

Here's a sample of charities working to provide aid for victims of Hurricane Florence across the region:

North Carolina Disaster Relief Fund

The NC Disaster Relief Fund was activated by the Governor’s Office. Text FLORENCE to 20222 to send a donation, or go to rebuildnc.gov for more information on how to help. 

American Red Cross

The American Red Cross website has a Hurricane Florence donation option, where people can safely donate any amount of money instantly. If you have an Amazon Echo, you can say “Alexa, donate to Hurricane Florence” to donate to the American Red Cross. 

GoFundMe

The popular donating website, GoFundMe, has several vetted options to donate directly to organizations helping with hurricane relief. Some of the recommended groups are Animals of Hurricane Florence, helping with animal rescue; Task Force 75, a group of volunteers helping with relief; and Planet Ready Hurricane Relief.

The website assures donors their money will be allocated correctly.

“GoFundMe is working with state and local officials to ensure that the money raised on GoFundMe will get to those who need it most,” the website stated.

The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army website allows donations online and provides information on their disaster relief efforts. You can donate in honor or in memory of someone.

NBA Cares

Michael Jordan, a former Wilmington, N.C. resident,  UNC basketball player in the 1980s and current owner of the Charlotte Hornets, is working with local organizations and the NBA to raise disaster relief funds. Visit his website to learn how you can help. 

“It’s truly devastating for me to see the damage that Hurricane Florence is doing to my beloved home state of North Carolina and to the surrounding areas,” Jordan said in a statement. “To all those affected, stay safe and know that we’re here to help.”

The Louisiana Cajun Navy

The Cajun Navy is a Louisiana based volunteer group that helps rescue people trapped after disasters. To learn how to help out or donate visit their website.