Michael Jordan, Charlotte Hornets to help with Hurricane Florence efforts

Michael Jordan and Pete Guelli

Former UNC basketball player and Charlotte Hornets owner Michael Jordan with Pete Guelli in 2013. Photo courtesy of Charlotte Hornets.

With Hurricane Florence ripping across North Carolina, Charlotte Hornets Owner Michael Jordan has announced efforts to help provide immediate relief in areas most effected by the storm. 

“It’s truly devastating for me to see the damage that Hurricane Florence is doing to my beloved home state of North Carolina and to the surrounding areas,” Jordan said in a statement released by the organization. “The recovery effort will be massive, and it will take a long time to repair the damage and for families to get back on their feet.”

Jordan, a former UNC basketball player and NBA hall of famer, grew up in Wilmington, N.C., one of the areas being hit hardest by the storm. To help provide relief and recovery efforts to the area and across the state, he and the Hornets are partnering with the NBA to aid local organizations devoted to helping citizens during and after the storm. 

"Please join me, the Hornets organization and the NBA and donate to one of the local organizations assisting in the relief and recovery efforts," Jordan said in the release. "To all those affected, stay safe and know that we’re here to help."

Donations to the cause will go directly to verified local organizations, including the American Red Cross, Direct Relief, Foundation for the Carolinas, Second Harvest Food Bank and the United Way of Central Carolinas. 

Those who want to make a donation can find more information here

@_JACK54_