Office DJ: Ace your hardest midterms with Misha's playlist

20bd6697-db3e-4050-a772-5b9ee960ee86.sized-1000x1000.JPG
Assistant Opinion Editor Ramishah Maruf

It’s taken me an excruciatingly long time to develop the perfect study playlist.

I have combed through my recommended playlists, crept through Spotify and Apple Music and interrogated my friends. I’ve tried listening to different genres, but I’ve found problems with all of them.

Alternative and soft rock? I’ll start dancing and jamming out. Classical? Too many traumatizing flashbacks to high school band class. Country? Trash. Bollywood? Look up the lyric translations, that stuff will put you in your feels way too fast.

Finally, by my junior year of high school, when I realized I couldn’t get straight A’s without studying anymore, I doubled down and really started looking for a playlist to get me through study hall. I needed something upbeat enough to keep me from falling asleep on my AP Chemistry review book, but could also be blended into the background.

See, I have another huge problem when it comes to studying: I’m my own biggest distraction.

I’ll start talking to anyone next to me, and a five-second break will end up with me taking trivia quizzes on Buzzfeed. My friends tend to avoid me in Davis, because I like to drag everyone down with me in the black hole of procrastination. I needed a playlist that could keep me in check.

I can’t be tied down to one genre, which I guess describes my taste in music and me as a person. It ranges from John Mayer’s Continuum album (the best John Mayer era, this is not up for debate), to Young the Giant, to Frank Ocean and SZA. All these songs are proven by me, the most easily-distracted student ever, to keep you focused on your work.

With all of us cramming to catch up with the work we didn’t do over the hurricane cancellation, you’ll need a good study playlist for the late nights in the library. Good luck everyone.