"Sherwood" opening night postponed after PlayMakers suspends operations

The PlayMakers Repertory Company is a professional theatre company in residence at UNC Chapel Hill.

PlayMakers Repertory Company will move the opening of “Sherwood: The Adventures of Robin Hood” from Sept. 15 to 18, in response to the University suspending operations in preparation for Hurricane Florence. 

Brittany Petruzzi, marketing & communications associate, said in an email that Playmakers has been preparing for this production for about six months. 

UNC will enter Condition 2 operations on Wednesday at 5 p.m., meaning that all non-mandatory operations will be suspended. Petruzzi said that because nobody at PlayMakers is considered mandatory, the company is required to postpone its rehearsals and shows during this time. 

“Our schedule is contingent on the University’s official adverse weather policy,” Petruzzi said in an email. 

Petruzzi said PlayMakers might add some performances of “Sherwood” later in the schedule to make up for cancelled shows.  

“We don’t have any information about that right now,” she said. “Just that they’re always looking to make sure our actors can do what they do.” 

Alex James, who works at the PlayMakers box office, said the company is still deciding what to do about students who have already bought tickets to the show. 

“We’ll probably have that information sometime in the next week,” James said. 

Nate Pohl, a graduate student in dramatic art who works in technical production for PlayMakers, said the scene for “Sherwood” is almost complete, but rehearsals were still scheduled for afternoons leading up to the show. 

“Usually you’d get basically a rehearsal every afternoon, so they’re losing Thursday and Friday, plus the preview performances, which are kind of a rehearsal,” Pohl said. “And depending on how that goes, they might have had a rehearsal Saturday.” 

Pohl said the cast is planning on rehearsing up until 5 p.m. Wednesday, when the University moves into suspended operations. 

He said Adam Maxfield and Laura Pates, the technical director and assistant technical director, will fill in for undergraduate stagehands for this rehearsal while other technical production workers will “button up the shop” to ensure that technical rescue could reach the shop in case of an emergency. 

Since opening night is now planned for a Tuesday rather than Saturday, Pohl said the opening night festivities will likely be different than planned. 

“How we’re going to handle opening night is going to be the biggest, oddest part of this whole thing,” he said. “I don’t really know who would want to have a party on a week night.”