Column: Von Loor doesn't represent real conservatism

Seth Newkirk

Seth Newkirk is the former communications manager for North Carolina Congressional candidate Steve Von Loor's campaign.

In case you haven’t noticed, modern political discourse has changed.  

The possible causes for these changes are varied. Social media, the war on terror, the Cold War, the Great Recession — all of these events have had wide-ranging effects on various forms of American life and our political ideals as well.  

The most noticeable change is how reliant both parties’ identities have become on their hatred for the other party. Long gone are the days of “conservative” or “liberal” philosophies as the defining quality of the Republicans and Democrats. Now, both parties find themselves in a situation where the defining characteristic of most of their members is how much they despise those on the other side.  

Hillary Clinton was not an American figurehead in terms of innovative policies and vigorous defense of tightly-held principles. In fact she seems to hold tightly to no principles, choosing what is merely politically expedient. Look at how she borrowed from Bernie Sanders’ platform. Her platform was one of opposition to Donald Trump at its most basic form. So too, much of Trump’s campaign was defined by his — and your — ability to “own the libs;" not some visionary philosophical outlook on how the government should work.  

This type of attitude results in the type of candidate that Steve Von Loor exemplifies.  

Von Loor might seem, at first glance, like a worthy challenger to David Price, the current Democratic congressman serving the 4th District of North Carolina. Von Loor is relatively young, he’s a self-made man, he’s even Hispanic. These qualities seem as if they might add up to a man who is capable of mounting a legitimate challenge against Price, who has contented himself with doing relatively little during his 30 years in Congress.  

Yet none of this is true. During my time working for Von Loor I watched as he was unable to grasp basic policy concepts, failed to stick to pre-written and practiced speeches, and boasted about how he would beat David Price in a debate while he struggled to answer my most basic questions. The only member of his team with legitimate campaign experience quit in disgust after Von Loor unfairly criticized him one time too many. My resignation soon followed.  

The entirety of Von Loor’s platform can be summarized by two things: blind support for Donald Trump, and a hatred for David Price.  

These shortcomings might make the local GOP support for Von Loor seem odd. Yet, this support for Von Loor became more perplexing after an article written by Splinter revealed that Von Loor has faced serious charges: assaulting a female, domestic criminal trespassing and assault with a deadly weapon. A judge granted Von Loor’s ex-wife, Maria, a protective order against Von Loor in 2010, which found that he had committed acts of domestic abuse and that Robey (who was Maria Loor at the time) was in immediate danger. A month later, Robey asked that the protective order be lifted so that she and Van Loor could discuss the welfare of their two children. All charges were dismissed in January 2011.

It is the unfortunate fact that opposition to the other party now takes precedent above all else in the current political environment. Von Loor’s shortcomings and misdeeds can be overlooked because he so effectively embodies the most important part of being a Republican in the 4th District: opposition to the Democratic Party in the 4th District. If the local Republican Parties wanted to stick to the values of Reagan, cared at all about real conservatism or even wanted a semi-competent candidate, they might have reconsidered supporting Von Loor.  

It is no small problem that he continues to enjoy their company.