Obituary: Thad Lewis Beyle

Thad Beyle

Thad Lewis Beyle, 84, of Chapel Hill, North Carolina, passed away on August 31, 2018.

Thad Beyle, a distinguished professor of Political Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill from 1967 to 2002, was a man of many names among his family (Thad the Dad, Thad-Man, Grandpa Thad, and Pop-Pop). Whether he was sorting papers in his filing cabinet labeled “FE, FI, FO, FUM” or jetting about campus on his Kawasaki 305 motorcycle, he was always quick with a laugh or smile and knew just how to leave a lasting impression. 

Born May 11, 1934 in Syracuse, New York to Herman Carey Beyle and Madelon McCulloch Beyle, Thad graduated from Nottingham High School in 1952 and promptly followed in his father’s footsteps by majoring in Political Science at Syracuse University. He continued on at Syracuse to earn a Master’s Degree in Russian Studies and subsequently received his Ph.D. in Political Science from the University of Illinois.

Thad and his wife, Patricia Cain Beyle—also a Syracuse native—began dating while undergraduate students before marrying on April 13, 1957, raising four children and many beloved dogs. 

From swirling ice cream at the Dairy Queen in his formative years to later sailing his Sunfish on Cape Cod Bay with his kids, Thad deeply cherished his summers in North Eastham, Cape Cod. He was eager to pass the tradition onto the next generation and cultivated family memories that have stood the test of time. A part of Thad forever belonged to the Cape. 

In 1964, the Beyle family moved to North Carolina where Thad worked for Governor Terry Stanford in Raleigh and later as a research associate at Duke University before permanently settling in Chapel Hill. 

Among his many accomplishments, Thad helped shape solid public policy in North Carolina, working as a consultant to several public and private agencies. He aided in establishing the Southern Growth Policies Board, served as director of the Center of Policy Research and Analysis of the National Governor’s Conference, and later was a chairman of the boards of the N.C. Center for Public Policy Research and the N.C. Institute of Political Leadership. In addition, he served as the faculty representative to the GAA Board of Directors in 1987 and ’88 and co-edited numerous books on gubernatorial elections and state government.

Thad proudly taught two classes at UNC—State and Local Politics and North Carolina Politics and Public Policy. Both consistently drew a packed room of students who partook in lively, engaging discussions, mainly focusing on the current headlines. This earned Thad the nickname “Dial-a-Quote,” as he was routinely interviewed by reporters during election seasons. 

He is preceded in death by his parents, Herman and Madelon, as well as by his brother, Noel. Thad is survived by his wife, Patricia Cain Beyle; his two sons, Jeffrey Lewis Beyle and wife Ramsay Ringo and Jonathan West Beyle and wife Elizabeth Blake Beyle; his two daughters, Carey Beyle Morgan and husband Zan Morgan and Aimée Beyle Jones and husband Jeremiah Jones; and eight grandchildren, Thomas Beyle, Lee Beyle and wife Joyner Yu, Margot Beyle, Taylor Beyle, Jordan Beyle, Jon Ward Beyle, Cole Jones, and Elise Jones. 

The family requests that in lieu of flowers, please visit the Thad L. Beyle Memorial Page on Facebook and share a fond memory or kind words. If you wish to send a note, Pat Beyle resides at the Cedars at Meadowmont in Chapel Hill.

Condolences may be shared at CremationSocietyNC.com.