No. 2 women's soccer falls to Santa Clara, 1-0, in first loss of 2018 season

Redei chases

Forward Zoe Redei (15) chases down a ball after a North Carolina corner kick in Saturday's game against High Point at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary.

The North Carolina’s women’s soccer team was defeated Friday, 1-0, against Santa Clara. The loss was the first of the season for the Tar Heels. 

No. 2 UNC (5-1-1) once again struggled on offense, a recurring issue throughout the season for the team. Despite once again outshooting their opponent, 18-7 and outshooting them on shots on goal, 8-3, the Tar Heels couldn’t find the touch to finish in the box. 

Santa Clara (5-1-1) also revealed some weaknesses in the UNC press offense, by dribbling through the press, which led to its sole goal on a breakaway shot by Santa Clara forward Kaile Halvorsen. Halvorsen stole the ball from her defender and dribbled behind the UNC defense. She scored, sneaking the ball in on a near-post shot in the 60th minute for the game-winning goal.

Santa Clara goalkeeper Melissa Lowder played all 90 minutes of the game and made eight saves, including a potential game-tying shot by North Carolina forward Alessia Russo in the final minute of play. Russo had seven shots, six of which were on goal, continuing her role as the primary offensive threat for the Tar Heels, but couldn’t find the touch to finish in the box this game. 

North Carolina actually scored a game-tying shot with 23 seconds left on the clock, even celebrating after the goal was called good and it looked like the game would be sent to overtime. After several minutes of discussion though, the referees eventually waved off the shot by junior forward Zoe Redei, deciding there had been an offsides infraction by a different North Carolina player. 

This was North Carolina’s first loss of the season, and it highlighted several issues the team has had all season, namely on the offensive end. Head coach Anson Dorrance said postgame that the team would look to address offensive fundamentals in training sessions he hoped to have. 

“Early in the season we didn’t like our finishing,” Dorrance said. “It felt like we were forever tinkering in games. We never really got a good training session in. I think now that we’re in the part of our season where we can have some training opportunities.” 

Dorrance did praise his team for the way they battled in the second half, especially ramping up their effort on the offensive end during the last 15 minutes of play. 

“I thought a lot of our kids acquitted themselves well in the second half,” Dorrance said.

North Carolina plays No. 1 Stanford on Sunday at 5:30 p.m. EST. Stanford will be one of the greatest challenges this season for a UNC team that is looking to win it’s first championship since the 2012 season.

@bg_keyes