Your guide to sticking it out on campus during the hurricane

rain.jpg

Heavy rains flooded the Pit in 2013. 

The first few weeks of the year have definitely be a ~whirlwind~, and now Florence is on the way to make it a literal one. The University has cancelled classes starting at 5 p.m. Tuesday, and is encouraging students to evacuate if possible. But not everyone is able to leave, of course, so here are some tips for everyone who's hunkering down and waiting out the storm.

Dining Halls

Until the University returns to Condition 1, the only places to get food on campus will be Chase Dining Hall and maybe Top of Lenoir. Carolina Dining Services said on their website, "Our staff will be making every attempt to maintain as many options as possible, but please bear with us as we navigate through this event."

Chase Dining Hall is currently scheduled to be open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday through Sunday.

Top of Lenoir is also scheduled to be open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Thursday, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, and 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Sunday.

These times are definitely subject to change depending on the severity of the weather, but we will keep you updated here if there are any developments.

Dorms

Get ready to spend lots of time in your dorm room if you're staying through Florence. All residence halls are staying open through the hurricane, but make sure to reply to the Housing email you should've received Tuesday stating that you'll be staying. If you can't find the email, reach out to your RA and they should be able to help.

At least half of the resident adviser staff will be sticking it out in Chapel Hill with you, so even though your RA might not be here, there will definitely be someone who can help if you need something. Check with your RA and they can let you know if they're staying, and who you should go to instead if they're leaving. Also, the community office should have someone on duty to answer the phone 24/7, even if the power goes out. You can also contact your community director if you have any concerns.

If the does power goes out, a lot of residence halls do have backup generators, but they're generally limited to just emergency lights and door access. Make sure all your electronics — phone, laptop, portable battery — are charged up, and try to hoard enough batteries and flashlights to navigate your room in the dark.

Transportation

The P2P and PASS Cart will stop running on Thursday, Sept. 13 and will stay suspended until conditions improve. The same goes for Chapel Hill Transit buses, as well. 

Parking regulations on campus (meaning, you'll get towed if you park in those lots) will remain until Wednesday at 5 p.m. After this, parking lot regulations will not be enforced for Thursday and Friday. 

If you're a commuter, the S11 lots along Skipper Bowles Drive will remain open if your travel or ability to move your car is hindered because of the storm. 

Check out this article for more info on transportation and parking in the Town of Chapel Hill.

Miscellaneous

UNC Police will remain on campus throughout the hurricane in case you need them. If it is an emergency, call 911. For any non-emergency situations, call (919)-982-8100. 

You can also sign up for Orange County Text Alerts about Florence by texting OCStorm to 888-777 to receive the latest updates. These will be sent out even if the area loses power.

Campus Health is staying open through the hurricane. They have changed their daily hours, which you can find here. The Campus Health pharmacy will stay open as well, but the Student Stores pharmacy will be closed on Thursday and Friday. 

All libraries on campus will be closed until Sunday at 5 p.m., as will the Student Union. 

The Chapel Hill and Carrboro locations of Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Trader Joe's, Weaver Street Market, CVS Pharmacy and Walgreens plan to continue their regular hours until further notice. 

Check here to see what else is closed or cancelled because of Florence.

For general hurricane preparedness, go here.

And if you have absolutely any questions or concerns over the next few days, don't hesitate to send a message to The Daily Tar Heel on Facebook and we'll help you out or direct you to someone who can.  

Stay safe, Heels!

@maddyarrowood

online@dailytarheel.com