Editorial: Get a flu shot (NOW!)

Hey, you. Yes, you! Go get a flu shot. It’s really as simple as that. That’s basically all this entire editorial has to say. If you understand that, then stop, drop and roll into whatever health care provider is nearest to you and get vaccinated. If you need more convincing, read on. 

Fall weather has arrived — remember the crisp autumn air from last weekend? Remember how blissful it felt to put on your favorite sweater and snuggle up with your cozy socks? Remember how everyone was like #FinallyFall! on Instagram? But also remember how that faint, tickling sensation started to prickle in the back of your throat? As if your body was sending the warning flare, telling you “oh, it’s cold outside, I guess it’s time to get sick!”

No, body, it is not time to get sick. Don’t you, clever reader, want to enjoy the wonders of autumn and winter without the pains of illness? 

Of course you do. Because winter is coming, folks, and you better buckle the heck up. Fasten your metaphorical seatbelt because we are going for a ride straight to Walgreens, or CVS, or wherever we’ve got to go to get a damn flu shot. 

Seriously, we mean it. Flu shots are available all over the place. Look to your left, look to your right. There’s probably a flu shot begging to be used within 100 feet of you. You don’t even need to leave campus! Flu shots are available without an appointment for students, faculty, and staff at the Student Stores Pharmacy (third floor of Student Stores) and at Campus Health Pharmacy (basement of Campus Health). Just bring your insurance card and you’re good to go. Most insurance plans cover the flu vaccine, including the University’s Student Blue plan. 

The University is also hosting a series of flu shot clinics on campus. These clinics are at a variety of walk-in locations across campus and no prior registration is needed. But you better be quick because the last two on-campus clinics will be on October 18th and 19th. You can find more information at www.flu.unc.edu

And listen, we understand needles are really scary and horribly distressing. We are sympathetic to our fellow humans who are needle-averse. We concede that needles are the WORST! But, for the greater betterment of humankind, we implore you to overcome your fears and help prevent an influenza plague from afflicting our campus. 

Perhaps this will help you: as you’re getting your flu shot, and dreading every moment of it, imagine the collective force of this entire Editorial Board lifting you up and comforting you for being on the right side of history and promoting a simple act of public health decency that will undoubtedly benefit this community. The Editorial Board applauds you and your bravery. 

NOW GO GET A FLU SHOT. (Please and thank you!)