With the conclusion of Late Night with Roy on Friday, college basketball is officially back and I know I am not the only one happy about it.

A trio of first-years join forces with three veteran leaders as UNC looks to return to the Sweet 16. We had a writer break down the Late Night with Roy festivities with his sarcastic take on the event. But that’s not all that happened. Here’s what else transpired this weekend:

Men’s Soccer:

Three days after taking over the No. 1 spot in the country, head coach Carlos Somoano’s squad fell to N.C. State, 1-0, even while edging its opponent in shots at 18-2. Read how mentality overruled UNC’s play in its quest for a fifth conference win.

Women’s Soccer:

The No. 3 team in the nation traveled to Blacksburg, Va. for a matchup with Virginia Tech on Saturday night. A goal from forward Alessia Russo in the 22nd minute got the scoring started for the Tar Heels en route to a 2-0 win. The team has now won seven contests in a row and moves to 7-0 in ACC play.

Football: 

Running back Michael Carter had a career-high 165 yards against the Hokies. However, a late fumble, one of many mistakes from UNC on the night, from the Virginia Tech 1-yard line turned a convincing win into a loss for North Carolina football. Read more on how Carter hopes to move on from his miscue here.

Volleyball:

Playing in front of a packed crowd at the Smith Center on Friday night, the volleyball team fell to undefeated No. 6 Pittsburgh in straight sets. It was the squad’s first loss in its last eight tries at the venue.

On Sunday, head coach Joe Sagula missed another chance to capture his 800th win as the Tar Heels fell to Virginia in three sets.

Women’s Golf:

The North Carolina women's golf team hosted the Ruth's Chris Tar Heel Invitational over the weekend. After falling to 10th place after the opening day, the team battled back to finish in seventh. Read more here.

Fall World Series:

Junior transfer Dylan Harris led the Blue team to two wins in three days against the Navy team. His performance included two home runs on Friday night. Read more about the first look at the North Carolina baseball team here.

@christrenkle2