Rising senior guard Seventh Woods to transfer from UNC basketball

Woods was North Carolina's backup point guard last season as a junior.

Seventh Woods Basketball Stanford
Seventh Woods (0) dribbles in Monday's 90-72 win over Stanford.

Seventh Woods will transfer from North Carolina, the rising senior guard announced on his Instagram on Thursday afternoon.

In his post, Woods thanked his UNC coaches, teammates and everyone who helped him "overcome the struggles throughout (his) college career." Woods did not write of any possible transfer destinations in his announcement.

The four-star recruit from Columbia, South Carolina, played in 94 games over three seasons at UNC. He averaged a career-high 2.5 points and 2.1 assists per game as a junior, serving as the Tar Heels' backup point guard behind Coby White.

"I wouldn't go back and change any decision I've made but I do feel like it's time for a change," Woods wrote on Instagram, "with that being said I plan on finishing my academic and basketball career elsewhere."

As a first-year in 2017, Woods played in all 40 games for a North Carolina team that went 33-7 and won the national championship. As a sophomore, he was hampered by a stress fracture in his foot and played in just 20 games.

"My three years here at UNC has been nothing short of amazing," Woods said on Instagram. "Two regular season championships, a National Championship and group of brothers that I would cherish for life."

North Carolina guard Seventh Woods (0) shoots a lay up during the second half of a March 3 away game against Duke. 

Heading into his junior season, Woods was a candidate for UNC's starting point guard position. He lost that spot to White, a first-year who is now a likely lottery pick in this summer's NBA Draft, and averaged 10.8 minutes per game off the bench.

Woods ā€” whose Hoopmixtape drew him national attention at age 14 ā€” would have entered the 2019-20 season once again pressed for playing time. On Monday, five-star combo guard Cole Anthony committed to North Carolina. Hours later, four-star guard Anthony Harris also announced his commitment to the Tar Heels.

With Woods' transfer, six UNC players on the 2018-19 team that reached the Sweet 16 won't be back this fall. Seniors Kenny Williams and Luke Maye graduated, graduate transfer Cameron Johnson used his final year of eligibility and White and Nassir Little, both first-years, declared for the NBA Draft.

"Iā€™m a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and the best is yet to come!" Woods said on Instagram.

@chapelfowler