Between the {Broad} Sheets

We won't edit your comment, but we might take it down

"Joe Mama," one of dailytarheel.com's more frequent commenters wrote on a story today that "The DTH staff is getting becoming awfully fond of editing comments."

That's a common misconception many readers have. Actually, we don't edit any comments posted to the Web site. Anything you read posted as a comment is what was originally written.

What we will do on occasion is remove comments that violate our commenting policy. Comments that get removed generally attack an individual or include statements we know to be false. We also don't take down comments that are critical of the DTH. We have a policy posted online that we use to determine when we remove a comment.

On the story that "Joe Mama" commented on, there were three comments that we removed. The first comment was a personal attack against the woman profiled in the story. The second comment ("You're an idiot.") referenced the first comment. The third comment agreed with the first comment and repeated the personal attack.

The first and third comments were removed because of the personal attacks. The second comment was removed because without the others, it didn't make sense.

We patrol comments throughout the day and try to quickly remove those that are offensive. If you find a comment you think isn't appropriate, please take the time to e-mail us and let us know. We might have just overlooked it.