Business Boom

Let's talk about brunch: Our four favorite brunch spots in Chapel Hill-Carrboro

AUIYB Johnny Tshirt is celebrating 30 year anniversary. Carolina Coffee shop has a new owner. 35 Chinese is moving to the shopping center by Whole Foods.
Buy Photos AUIYB Johnny Tshirt is celebrating 30 year anniversary. Carolina Coffee shop has a new owner. 35 Chinese is moving to the shopping center by Whole Foods.

If I could make every meal breakfast, I would. Growing up there was nothing better than Mom saying we were having breakfast for dinner. What is more hype than breakfast for dinner?

It’s a shame breakfast for dinner hasn’t become a thing. I mean it is obviously "a thing" but it doesn’t have proclaimed ownership. Probably because the only options for its title would be “brinner”, or if you are a supper person, “brupper”. Yeah, no thanks. I already lost my appetite.

But there is another meal that has taken the world by storm. You all know it. It’s the meal that completes the weekend. So let’s talk about brunch.

What is everyone’s favorite meal? Brunch. What is the genius idea that allowed breakfast foods to be eaten at lunchtime? Brunch. What is the meal that solves all the world’s problems? You guessed it — brunch!

I bet you are thinking, “Dang, I want to go get some brunch now.” Well, you are in luck, because today we are going to talk about a few of the local places in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro area where you can satisfy your ever-present brunch craving.

Here are some wonderful brunch options in no particular order:

1. Elmo’s Diner — $

Not only do they have brunch, but also breakfast at anytime! Elmo’s is located in downtown Carrboro on the backside of the Weaver Street Market. Get directions to Elmo’s here

2. Southern Rail — $$

Southern Rail not only has bangin’ breakfast potatoes, but can you can sit and have your meal inside an old railway car. Located on East Main Street in Carrboro it is only about a mile from campus. Get directions to Southern Rail here.

3. Carolina Coffee Shop — $$

Located just downtown on Franklin Street next to Sugarland, this restaurant is a great option for UNC students looking for convenience. And guess what? They are now open on Mondays. Woohoo! Another day to eat the best meal!

4. The Root Cellar Cafe (formerly Fosters Market) — $

This cafe/restaurant has it all: everything from a full breakfast, lunch and dinner menu to a full-blown bakery and cafe. It's also a market that sells many specialty items and lots and lots of wine. They are located just two miles from campus. Get directions here.

If you are a UNC student who is tired of the runny omelets from Rams or Lenoir, give these places a shot next time you are looking forward to having a nice brunch!