Business Boom

All up in your business for Nov. 24, 2015

Carrboro Tom+Chee closes its doors 

Hot tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches will no longer be served in the heart of Carrboro — well, at least not from Tom+Chee. 

The only Tom+Chee in North Carolina, located at 370 E. Main St., has officially closed. 

The Carrboro franchise was open for only six months before it shut its doors. 

Now, the closest locations to North Carolina are in Knoxville, Tennessee and near Atlanta.

Tom+Chee specializes in variations of grilled cheese sandwiches, as well as grilled cheese doughnuts.

Co-founders Trew Quakenbush and Corey Ward were featured on ABC’s “Shark Tank” in May 2013. 

“Sharks” Barbara Corcoran and Mark Cuban ended up investing in the franchise.

The franchise has more than 30 locations with only five on the east coast.

Most of the food chain’s locations are concentrated in the middle of the country. 

Craig McDavid, the local owner, said the restaurant had to close because there were not enough sales.

Cafe Symmetry temporarily closes 

Cafe Symmetry in Carr Mill Mall is currently closed for what the owners are calling a “reinvention.” 

Cafe Symmetry is another restaurant in Carrboro that has faced challenges this year.

The cafeteria-style restaurant opened its doors in mid-July, labeling itself as the place for healthy food for those with busy lifestyles. 

Cafe Symmetry served a combination of side vegetables, salads, sandwiches, soups and freshly-squeezed juices, using ingredients compatible for vegans, vegetarians and gluten-free eaters.

David McMahan, brother of owner Cindy McMahan, said it’s not certain how long the restaurant will be closed.

“We’re talking to the landlord and other investors,” he said. 

“We would like for some version of it to open again, but a lot of things have to come together.”

The restaurant had to close because there was an issue with the landlord about what he wanted to do with the space, McMahan said. 

Free condoms for local barbershops 

The Look Good Feel Good initiative was started by the Science Policy Action Network, Inc, a non-profit organization in Chapel Hill. SPAN is partnering with Adam & Eve to provide free condoms to local barbershops and beauty salons, with the intention of expanding to Durham.

“Barbershops by and large represent cultural hot spots in the community,” said Richard Watkins, CEO and president of SPAN.

Watkins said he learned the community need for personal protection when he would get his hair cut at the local barbershop. 

So far the Chapel Hill barbershops that have participated are Legacy Cuts Barbershop, Precise Cutz & Styles, Midway Barber Shop and Cut Above Barber Shop.

“It was extremely gratifying to take an idea that the community had for something that they need, and being able to partner up with not only a large business like Adam and Eve but also partner up with local businesses to put together this initiative,” Watkins said.

Watkins said Adam & Eve has committed to provide 1,500 condoms for the next three months.