Business Boom

All up in your business for Jan. 28, 2015

Barbecue restaurant opens in place of Southern Rail

Andrew Moore will soon open a new barbecue restaurant called CrossTies Barbecue to replace Southern Rail in downtown Carrboro.

Southern Rail shut down business at the end of 2015 after nine years.

Moore said this business will be a unique replacement for Southern Rail because of its music-oriented atmosphere, authentic food and location.

“Having train cars and the train station is incredibly unique,” Moore said.

“Our ingredients are high quality because we build relationships with farmers and the combination of putting barbecue together with live music.”

CrossTies will serve Carolina-style barbecue, including a variety of sides and smoked meats. The menu will also feature salads, entrees, appetizers and desserts. With this new addition, Moore now owns four bars and eateries in Carr Mill Mall in downtown Carrboro: Venable, The Station, B-Side Lounge and CrossTies Barbecue.

Mexican restaurant Bartaco to open in University Place

Bartaco, a new Mexican restaurant and bar, is opening at University Place.

The restaurant’s menu includes a variety of tacos and sides, as well as other options such as chips, salsa, soup and plantains.

Although an opening date has not yet been decided, Kerry Finley, who is currently a Bartaco architect for the Chapel Hill location, said it will be an extremely relaxing place for its visitors.

He said it would have an indie atmosphere, which will be decorated and furnished to fit the serene idea.

“I think it’s designed to be sort of like this oasis sort of relaxing place that you go into with warm materials and lighting,” Finley said.

Finley also explained that the success of nearby movie theater, Silverspot Cinema, is what made University Place an ideal spot to build this new Mexican restaurant.

“Silverspot Cinema has created some momentum for the property,” Finley said.

ABC store relocates to bigger location on Perkins Drive

Recently, an ABC store opened on Perkins Drive in Chapel Hill, across the street from its old location.

This new location opened to give customers a safer environment and area for customers to travel through.

It was also to provide a more cost-effective and affordable outlet for workers and the business itself.

Tony DuBois, the general manager for Orange County ABC, said because of the new location, the store was able to occupy a larger space with more consumer options.

This allowed the store to accommodate more customers safely and effectively, as well as provide more items for sale.

“The store is bigger, and it’s also easier to get in and out of. It’s much safer to get in the parking lot,” DuBois said.

“It’s better for customers convenience-wise and safety-wise, and we have a better selection.”