Canvas

Intimate discussion at Campus Y probes the root of artistic creation

Choreographer Bill T. Jones and theater director Anne Bogart joined Emil Kang for an intellectual dialogue Thursday night in the Anne Queen Faculty Common of the Campus Y.

The main topic for discussion was the first-ever collaboration between Jones and Bogart, who have been commissioned by Carolina Performing Arts to produce a new work for the 2012-2013 season.

Jones is the recipient of a MacArthur Genius Fellowship and Tony Award-winner. He won a Tony for his choreographic work in the critically-acclaimed musical, “FELA!”

Bogart has won a slew of critical prizes, ranging from Obie Awards, Bessie Awards and a Guggenheim.

“We are thrilled that we have embarked on the massive undertaking of this event,” Emil Kang, executive of the arts, said on Thursday. Kang facilitated the conversation.

The two artists have been in residence at UNC this week to begin work on the undertaking, which is supported by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

The work is set to mark the centennial celebration of “The Rite of Spring,” a revolutionary Russian ballet that sparked one of the most famous classical music riots of all time.

While “The Rite of Spring” is serving as a reason to celebrate the arts, Jones and Bogart agree that it will not be recreated.

The pair, with impeccable chemistry for their first time working together, agreed on most everything — except the length of their piece.

“Our work can possibly be an hour and 20 minutes,” Bogart said.

Jones paused before responding.

“Yeah…that’s good. We haven’t talked about that yet,” he said.

While many of the details haven’t been worked out, both agreed that they are in the beginning stages of developing their complete vision and are tackling the artistic process head-on — even recalling how Kang had turned a lunch into an impromptu work session.

Jones let it be known that he was apprehensive to undertake anything dealing with “The Rite of Spring,” but that with the talent and bravery of Bogart, he was set to undertake the challenge.

“My fears are mitigated by working with such an amazing person,” Jones said.

Jones put forth his inspiration for the work they are planning, and he coined it a “whirlwind of silence.”

“The whirlwind of silence is what every artist wants to create, it is when art is so great that it doesn’t need an explanation,” Bogart said.

The two are still at the beginning of the artistic process, having just started a few days ago.

Jones said he definitely wanted to make something of a high quality — something like a well-tailored suit.

“The good news is, we are just the beginning of the conversation,” Kang said.

Kang also said Jones and Bogart would come back and have more discussions like the one Thursday.

“You will be able to witness the conception and evolution of the process,” Kang said.