Canvas

Wednesday Roundup (2/2-2/8): Groundhog's Day Eve

Thursday

Dan Savage: “Savage Love” Live
Memorial Hall
6:30 p.m.
Free with OneCard, $5 for all others

Dan Savage, sex columnist and founder of the It Gets Better project, will host a live version of his column Thursday. He will field questions from the audience about love, sex and relationships.

Read assistant Arts Editor Katherine Proctor’s article about the event here, and look for staff writer John Sherman’s question-and-answer piece will Savage in Thursday’s newspaper.

Friday

NC Comedy Arts Festival
Feb. 1-19
Check here for a full schedule of events

This gathering of national and local comedians proclaims to be the largest comedy festival in the South. The festival was organized in 2001 by Dirty South Improv founder Zach Ward and has been an annual event since. Check out the standup, sketch and improv acts at multiple venues in the next few weeks.

Saturday

PlayMakers Repertory Company: “The Making of a King: William Shakespeare’s Henry IV & Henry V”
Center for Dramatic Art, Paul Green Theatre
2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Tickets are $10-$45

After a week of previews, PlayMakers presents the official premiere of the historical plays of Shakespeare, following Prince Hal through his youth as he becomes one of England’s most powerful monarchs, King Henry V. Today is the only time both “Henry IV” and “Henry V” will be shown on the same day.

Read Grace Tatter’s article on the production here, and look for assistant Arts Editor Katherine Proctor’s reviews in Monday’s newspaper.

Sunday

Guided Tour of “The Spectacular of Vernacular”
Ackland Art Museum
2 p.m.
Free admission

The Ackland’s director of external affairs Amanda Hughes leads this tour, examining the methods and materials used by the artists in “The Spectacular of Vernacular.”

Read staff writer Mary Stevens’ review of the exhibition here.

Monday

Ellen Kochansky’s Textile Exhibition
Love House and Hutchins Forum
9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Free admission

Southern textile artist Ellen Kochansky’s contemporary quilts are on display in the Love House gallery through April.

Read staff writer Mary Stevens’ article on the exhibition http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/article/2012/01/for_the_love_of_art.

Tuesday

Hanes Visiting Artist Lecture Series: Mendi and Keith Obadike
Hanes Art Center
6 p.m.
Free admission

The Obadikes immerse themselves in music, art and literature. The artists, who are currently developing a sound installation series, will present a lecture this evening. Their performance Four Electric Ghosts, an opera-masquerade, will be presented Thursday at Memorial Hall.

Wednesday

Frances Katz’ “Recollections: Trees, Sea and Me”
The Preservation Society of Chapel Hill
Tues. to Fri., 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Sun. from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Free admission

Mixed media artist Frances Katz uses her artwork to explore the interconnectedness between humans and nature. Her textured images reflect her philosophy of life.