Canvas

Sunday Roundup: It's Valentine's Day

Whether your date is your significant other, your best friend, your mom or your teddy bear, Valentine’s Day is a day that Hallmark says we should all celebrate — why not do it in artsy style?

Titanic 3-D Advance Screening
Southpoint Cinemas
7 p.m.
Admission is free with Gofobo.com pass

What better way to spend Valentine’s Day then watching two people in love lose each other to an Iceberg? Visit gofobo.com and enter “GFBM37Y” to receive your free passes. But hurry, only 20 can be admitted with this code.

No One Hurts You More Than S/MOTHER
Hill Hall
5:30 p.m.
$5 to $10

Want a more experimental date? Shannon Wong Lerner explores the life of the “first” mother in this self-penned, one-person performance. The play is part of the “Solo Takes on 3: Story, Identity & Desire” festival put on by the Communications Studies Department.

Staff writer Kendra Benner “reports on the festival”:http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/blog/canvas/2012/02/comm_studies_premieres_four_oneperson_plays.

Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater
Memorial Hall
7:30 p.m.
$10 to $79

For the third consecutive year, Carolina Performing Arts is presenting the New York-based dance theater. What better way is there to bond than to watch other people dance?

Read staff writer Janna Jung-Irrgang’s story on Carolina Performing Arts’ busy week, including Alvin Ailey’s performances.

E.A.R. to the Ground
6 p.m.
Hanes Art Center, room 121
Admission is free

Hear MFA grad from UNC Becca Albee speak as part of the Hanes Visiting Artist Lecture series before the opening of her exhibit, “E.A.R. to the Ground.”

Read staff writer Carson Blackwelder’s story on Becca Albee in the newspaper or online on Tuesday.

Henry V
Paul Green Theater
7:30 p.m.
Tickets start at $10, visit playmakersrep.org to purchase

Don’t worry — “Henry V” is only two-and-a-half of the six hour “Making of a King” journey. To show your true dedication to your date, invite them for a follow-up date on Wednesday to see “Henry IV.” Then you’ll know they’re in it for the long haul.

Assistant Arts editor Katherine Proctor saw the shows she can also help you through the plays.

For more on the creation of the epic event, read the stories from Arts Editor Katelyn Trela and from staff writer “Grace Tatter”:http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/article/2012/01/the_making_of_a_king_an_epic_journey_for_playmakers.