Canvas

Process Series pairs with Theatrical Translation, Duke for four new plays

This weekend, the Process Series takes on translation – and partnering with Duke.

This weekend, the Department of Dramatic Art at UNC and the theatre studies department at Duke will present the Theatrical Translation as Creative Process festival, featuring four readings of in-the-works plays.

Joseph Megel, artist-in-residence in the communications department who oversees the Process Series, said the festival is a discussion on the concept of translation.

“We’re talking about the process of translation as creating something new, and the whole focus is to talk about what it is to make a new translation,” he said.

One of the readings will be held on Duke’s campus, while the other three will be at UNC.

“It is a nice way to include the Duke campus by bringing in the American translators in to talk about the process and to work on new translations,” Megel said.

Each artist is giving a window to culture and a window to how artists push boundaries as a reflection of the cultures they come from, he said.

“This is showing us what it means to cross cultural barriers to represent the work with creative fidelity,” Megel said.

See the readings beginning Thursday, April 12 with “Huddersfield,” by Uglijisa Stilnac at 7:30 p.m. in Gerrard Hall. Friday, April 13, “Vengeance Can Wait,” by Yukiko Motoya at 8 p.m. in Gerrard Hall. Sunday, April 15, “Apocalypse Tomorrow,” by Ricardo Monti at 1 p.m. in the Center for Dramatic Art. Admission is free, donations are accepted.