Canvas

Wednesday Roundup (9/27-10/3): The "Jane Borden is Awesome" Edition

Thursday

“Alice: A Devised Alice in Wonderland Project”
Center for Dramatic Art, Room 102
8 p.m. Thursday-Sunday; 2 p.m. Sunday; 5 p.m. Monday
Free
Dates: Sept. 27 – Oct. 1

LAB! performs an ensemble retelling of the tale, using Lewis Carroll’s original texts – “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” and “Through the Looking-Glass.” Be warned: this is not your average Disney movie retelling.

Check out staff writer Elizabeth Tew’s preview of the quirky show on page 3 of today’s paper.

Friday

“Broadway Abridged”
Hanes Art Center
7 p.m. each day
$5
Dates: Sept. 28-30

Company Carolina knows that Broadway is EXPENSIVE. Why bother? Company Carolina will give you each of your (not so) favorite Broadway shows, fifteen minutes at a time. Broadway shows featured in the show include: “Phantom of the Opera,” “Wicked,” “The Glass Menagerie,” “Legally Blonde” and “West Side Story.”

Weekend (Sunday)

The Silk Road Ensemble with Yo-Yo Ma
7:30 p.m.
Memorial Hall
Student tickets sold out, contact Memorial Hall for ticketing information
Dates: Sept. 30-Oct. 1

CPA’s “Rite of Spring at 100” season kicks off with the highly acclaimed Silk Road Ensemble, featuring multiple Grammy Award-winner Yo-Yo Ma. The concert program includes the world premiere of “Sacred Signs,” a piece by Uzbekistan’s Dmitri Yanov-Yanovsky commissioned for “The Rite of Spring at 100.”

Monday

Professor Maria DeGuzman Book Talk & Signing
Pleasant Family Room, Wilson Library
10-11 a.m.
Free

Professor Maria DeGuzman will be discussing as well as signing copies of her second book, “Buenas Noches, American Culture: Latina/o Aesthetics of Night.” For details, see the Flyleaf Bookstore website.

Tuesday

2012 Thomas Wolfe Lecture: Josephine Humphreys
Genome Sciences Building Auditorium
7:30 p.m.
Free

Writer Josephine Humphreys, whose fiction draws from the South Carolina lowlands where she was born and bred, will receive the 2012 Thomas Wolfe Prize and deliver the annual lecture Oct. 2 at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Humphreys lives and writes in Charleston, S.C. Her first book, “Dreams of Sleep” (1984), won the PEN/Hemingway Award for best American first novel. Her subsequent novels have also won major awards. “Rich in Love” (1987) was a New York Times Notable Book of the Year, and a movie version of the book, starring Albert Finney, was released in 1992. Her third novel, “The Fireman’s Fair” (1991), was also a New York Times Notable Book, and her fourth, “Nowhere Else on Earth” (2000), won the Southern Book Award.

Wednesday

“Red”
Paul Green Theatre
7:45 p.m.
Single Tickets start at $15 or season tickets (6 shows) start at $90
Dates: Sept. 19 – Oct. 7

PlayMakers kicks off their main stage season with John Logan’s 2010 Tony Award-Winner for Best Play.

Read staff writer Anissa Putois’ preview of the play here and look out for ex-Arts Editor Katelyn Trela’s review of the production.