Canvas

Wednesday Roundup (10/25-10/31): Halloween & Such

Thursday

LAB! Theatre’s “Jon”
Center for Dramatic Arts, Room 103
8 p.m. Thursday-Sunday; 2 p.m. Sunday; 5 p.m. Monday
Free
Dates: Oct. 25-29

A love story that takes place in a dystopian world where chosen children and teens are kept in sequestered market research compounds and used to test consumer products.

Company Carolina’s “DOUBT: A Parable”
Historic Playmakers Theater
7 p.m. every night, Saturday matinee at 2 p.m.
Student tickets: $7 presale, $10 at the door. General tickets: $10 presale, $13 at the door
Dates: Oct. 25-28

In this brilliant and powerful drama, Sister Aloysius, a Bronx school principal, takes matters into her own hands when she suspects the young Father Flynn of improper relations with one of the male students. This beautifully-written mystery builds around four blazingly individual characters, and keeps the audience guessing. Winner of the 2005 Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award.

Friday

Natalia Goncharova’s “Mystical Images of War”
Ackland Art Museum
Regular museum hours
Free

In 2012-13, a university-wide series of concerts, performances, courses, symposia, and other events will mark the centenary of the tumultuous premiere of Igor Stravinsky’s revolutionary ballet The Rite of Spring, presented in Paris in April 1913 by Serge Diaghilev’s Ballets Russes. For its contribution to the celebration, the Ackland Art Museum will exhibit Natalia Goncharova’s Mystical Images of War, a powerful portfolio of fourteen lithographs published in Moscow the year after Stravinsky’s artistic bombshell.

Saturday

PlayMakers’ “Imaginary Invalid”
See PlayMakers’ site for show times
Paul Green Theatre
Ticketing info here: http://bit.ly/S8qnwz
Dates: Oct. 24-Nov. 11

A new adaptation of the play about the health care industry. A rich hypochondriac surrounds himself with a host of veritable quacks eager to take his money by promising cures to an array of suspect illnesses. This Invalid is smart, in your face, and wickedly funny, taking you from a Parisian drawing room to Purgatory for an epic battle between the forces of good and evil. The passing of years has only heightened the absurd accuracy of this dead-on take on healthcare as a system where no one is blameless – neither the doctors nor their patients.

Check out staff writer Elizabeth Baker’s preview of the performance.

Sunday

“Halloween Shorts”
7:30 p.m.
Carrboro ArtsCenter
Ticketing info here: http://bit.ly/TUFACc

The Playwrights Roundtable returns with Halloween Shorts, an evening of new original short plays brewed up especially for the season. It’s an evening full of spirits, dark magic, mischief and mayhem, larceny, cosmic forces, vampires, spells, metaphysical contacts, and TV horror-movie hosts. Grab hold of someone and be prepared to be scared!

Monday

Mariinsky Orchestra of St. Petersburg
Memorial Hall
7:30 p.m. Monday and Tuesday
Student tickets: $10, single tickets: $29-$79

Under the inspired direction of Valery Gergiev, St. Petersburg’s Mariinsky Orchestra, one of the oldest and pre-eminent symphony orchestras in Russia, returns to Memorial Hall for two nights with programs that include the U.S. premieres of new works by Matthias Pintscher and Rodion Shchedrin. Rodion Shchedrin’s Cleopatra and the Snake, written for orchestra and soprano, highlights the second night’s performance and will be followed by Shostakovich’s Symphony No. 6 and The Rite of Spring.

Tuesday

Allcott Gallery Exhibition: “Cutting Losses”
Hanes Art Center
Building hours, until Nov. 15
Free

Guest curated by Susanne Slavick, “Cutting Losses” features the work of Lenka Clayton, Decolonizing Architecture, and Heide Fasnacht. The rubble that each war leaves behind shapes today and tomorrow—physically, psychologically, spiritually and culturally. These international artists consider its causes and consequences, its finality and future, moving from decimation and disintegration to the possibilities of regeneration and recovery.

Read staff writer Samantha Sabin’s article about the exhibit.

Wednesday

Halloween
Franklin Street
9-11:30 p.m.
Free

Put on your best costume and prance around Franklin Street. It’s one tradition you cannot miss. Check out the Town of Chapel Hill’s website for more info.