Canvas

Wednesday Roundup (10/11-10/17): The FALL IS HERE Edition

Thursday

LAB! Theatre’s “Eurydice”
Kenan Theatre
8 p.m. Thursday-Sunday; 2 p.m. Sunday; 5 p.m. Monday
Free
Dates: Oct. 11-15

A new twist on the Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice. Eurydice dies on her wedding day and enters the Underworld. She meets her father there (though her memories of him were washed away in the River Styx), and he re-teaches her the story of her life. Orpheus strikes a deal with the Lord of the Underworld to bring Eurydice back to the surface—and Eurydice must decide whether or not she wants to follow.

Elsewhere, a CelloOpera with Maya Beiser
Memorial Hall
7:30 p.m.
$10 student tickets, $25 single tickets

Elsewhere is a “CelloOpera” by Maya Beiser, a virtuosic cellist and diva of the avant-garde, and director Robert Woodruff, featuring vocalist Helga Davis. The work is a haunting new multimedia performance that stages two dramatic interpretations of apocalyptic visions.

Friday

“The Mexican, as Told By us Mexicans”
Historic Playmakers Theater
7 p.m. Friday and Saturday
Free (donations encouraged)

The Mexican, as Told by us Mexicans is a queer theatrical retelling of Jack London’s 1911 short story “The Mexican.” The story follows a Mexican boxer from the killing fields of dictator Porfirio Díaz in Veracruz, Mexico to a revolutionary hideout in El Paso, Texas culminating in a prizefight in Los Angeles, California.

Weekend (Sunday)

Compagnie Marie Chouinard
7:30 p.m.
Memorial Hall
$10 student tickets, single tickets also on sale

Compagnie Marie Chouinard presents two of Chouinard’s most highly regarded works, pairing “The Rite of Spring” (1993) with a new interpretation of Nijinksy’s work in “Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun” (1994).

Monday

American Poverty, The Hidden Story: FPG Lecture
Memorial Hall
7:30 p.m.
Free

Award-winning photojournalists Steve Liss and Jon Lowenstein are among the founders of an organization of photojournalists committed to poverty alleviation in the U.S. called AmericanPoverty.org. They come to UNC to deliver the Frank Porter Graham Lecture, sponsored by Honors Carolina and the Johnston Center for Undergraduate Excellence.

Tuesday

Punch Brothers featuring Chris Thile
Memorial Hall
7:30 p.m.
Single tickets: $89/$79/$69/$59/$49/$39

Punch Brothers are the New York City-based quintet of mandolinist Chris Thile, guitarist Chris Eldridge, bassist Paul Kowert, banjoist Noam Pikelny and violinist Gabe Witcher.

Wednesday

Fall Break
Home
After Class
However much gas costs

It’s fall break! Enjoy it and be ready for some awesome arts events next week!