Canvas

UNC Cello Choir showcases versatility

Earlier today, the UNC Cello Choir, conducted by cello professor Brent Wissick, performed a series of pieces composed by cellists for cellists in the Hill Hall auditorium.

The concert’s program, mostly organized by Wissick, aimed to highlight the longevity of the instrument, as well as the musical and technical diversity the cello provides it’s performers.

From baroque to jazz, the concert’s program forced the audience to reflect on the history of the instrument, and how modern composers continue to innovate its sound and style.

The first half of the concert consisted mainly of classical pieces written by cellists of varying nationalities and concluded with “Hymnus for 12 Cellos” by Julius Klengel, which served as a touching tribute to UNC’s violin professor Richard Luby, who recently passed away.

The second half of the concert focused on more modern genres of music, and tastefully featured flutist Kieran Fell and pianist Deborah Hollis on several pieces.

Included in this portion of the concert were rearrangements of music by local bands Morning Brigade and Superchunk.

Both arrangements were written by senior cellist Paula Peroutka, who has been writing cello arrangements of local band’s music for her honor’s thesis, which she hopes to perform in March.

Another highlight of the concert was an improvised piece by Patrick Belaga, Christian Adams and Alex Ullman, reminiscent of Igor Stravinsky’s “The Rite of Spring,” the ballet portion of which will be performed next month at Memorial Hall by The Joffrey Ballet.

The concert concluded with “Tarentella” by William Henry Squire and “Cryin’ the Blues” by Jerome Kessler, which playfully quoted and reinterpreted various famous cello concertos.